I've been putting my blog off for sometime now...2015 has had a rough start & I have found it difficult to move forward. I am grateful for the support of a loving family & the patience of a very understanding husband. I have a wonderful life & I know it! Life. Is. Good!
Our oldest grandchild, Adia, turned 16 on January 6th! It's hard to believe that she has grown up so quickly, but she is such a beautiful person & we are so proud of her! Family gathered at Chicago Fire to celebrate her...
Amy's dad, Adrian, is highly entertaining - this evening was no exception, he keeps us in stitches!
Adia got some new wheels & is driving with her permit. An issue with her birth certificate held up her permit process, but that's all cleared up now & she should get her license in August!
We left straight for the airport (from Adia's party) to pay Cindi a visit in Mesa. We were excited to be able to attend the sealing of our dear friend's the Lowry's & their beautiful adopted daughter, Olivia...such a beautiful spirit. It was also fun to visit with their parents - long time friends from San Jose.
Cindi & the midgets gave Dad The Book With No Pictures for his birthday. Hysterical book & the kids had him read it over & over & over! So fun!
It was nice to spend some time with Cindi & help her out. It is difficult to be a single mom & I think she's doing a great job!
When I was at the airport, on my way from AZ to UT, I got a call from my niece, Kristi. My mom wasn't doing well & she was worried. She told me she would look in on her everyday & keep me posted. We went to Utah to watch Leah's little ones while she & Rick took an anniversary trip to Tahiti! Happy 10th Anniversary to them! The kids were tons of fun!
We celebrated Paul's bday...Terri got this cake for him - it's our favorite!
Being silly after dinner...
These kids loved G'pa's birthday present, too! They laughed uncontrollably as he read it over & over & over again!
While we were there, we got to go to DJ Hubbard's wedding! The Hubbard family are long time friends from San Jose & part of our camping families that we went camping with every year...so fun to see them & share this moment with them!
Paul had to go home early so I got to take the little Bassetts to church all by myself! They were great & we took a "Sunday selfie" afterwards!
When I got to the airport, ready to return home, Kristi called again very concerned. My mom wasn't eating & struggling even more to breathe & get comfortable. We decided that I would come straight to Bakersfield from the airport when my plane landed.
The next day I sent the following email to the family...
Jan 15, 2015
We could use some prayers...got a call from Kristi yesterday
morning while waiting for my plane in SLC after visiting with Cindi, Leah &
Terri. (2nd call in a week) - G'ma is going downhill fast. Dad picked me up in
Oakland & we drove straight here to Bakersfield. Kristi has been checking
on her regularly & both Kristi & Carrie were here with her when we got
here, trying to get her to eat & making sure she wasn't alone.
She just can't get comfortable & she is pretty out of it...it's
obvious that she already needs 24 hr care. We met with her hospice caregiver
today to help us understand her options. I plan to stay with her & help her
as long as needed, but I didn't realize that she would need physical help
"moving" & transferring from bed to chair to bathroom, etc...I'm
just not strong enough to assist her. Just pray that she can be comfortable
from here on out.
Last night was rough. Dad & I together had difficulty getting
her in & out of bed & she obviously doesn't have the strength to help.
So hospice will come by to bathe her & help us in the mornings. We have also
hired a caregiver to help from 5-9 everyday to get her ready for bed, etc.
& to give me a break. Kristi & Carrie & Sylvia are also close by
for support.
G'ma is actually kind of in & out. She has a morphine patch
that is supposed to help her relax & breathe easier...she's pretty relaxed
but is still struggling to breathe.
We moved her sofa out of the main room, moved her queen bed where
the sofa was so I can stay there, & hospice sent over a hospital bed for
her so we can adjust it to make her more comfortable. She is most comfortable (at least breathes better) when she can rest upright.
Dad just left. I am making him go home & get ready for our
Hawaii trip with Adia, Trevor, Ethan, & Avery. G'ma didn't want Kristi to even call me
because she knew we were looking forward to the trip & she didn't want us
to cancel it...so I am making Dad go without me so it doesn't upset her. Yes, I am always sad to miss out on all the
fun, but I don't think I could emotionally deal with being there anyway,
knowing that these are my last moments with her. My mind & my heart would
be here with her. I appreciate everyone's prayers & understanding...love
you all.
So I was prepared to stay indefinitely...until the end - not knowing if it would be a few weeks or a few months. Shortly after hospice left, Kristi's daughter Kinzie climbed into bed with Mom & snuggled with her. She whispered, "I love you G'ma." Mom replied, "I love you, too." That's pretty much how we all felt as we just sat there holding her hand...those wonderful hands that worked all of her life, the hands that served her family that she loved more than anything. She was so pale, but finally relaxed...
Glenda the Good...
...passed away shortly after midnight. She was finally able to get some rest & I'm sure she is breathing easier, sweet heavenly air. She wanted to be able to pass away in her home, in her sleep...it brings me peace to know that she was able to do this.
John 14:1-3, "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.....I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again, & receive you unto myself; that where I am, there Ye may be also."
"Did Jesus, really live again, after He had died? Oh yes, & so shall I!"
I believe this with all my heart & I am confident that I will see my mom again. #familiesareforever























1 comment:
Beautiful. I love the picture you took with your hand holding hers. Love you.
Post a Comment