Monday, July 14, 2008

Remembering My Dad



James Edward Harwell
October 28, 1928 - July 6, 2008


This is my favorite picture of Dad, taken about the time I was born, I always thought he was so handsome in this picture. My dad, aka G'pa Sugar, passed away Sunday, July 6th. My brothers & I went to Arkansas this past week to make arrangements & hold a little memorial service. It was a very "surreal" experience. Too often we take those people we love for granted and forget to appreciate them while we can. A very dear friend of mine used to always say, "Tell someone you love them" - because you never know when you may not get a second chance to do so.


When I was little, I knew my daddy loved me...he was so much fun. He had a great personality and could pretty much talk to anyone as if he knew them all his life. People really liked him...


Unfortunately, it took him a long time to like himself. He suffered from alcoholism most of his adult life...and it took me a long time to understand it and to forgive him for it. I am proud to say that he has been sober since 1985ish and spent his last few years at peace with himself in Arkansas, near his childhood home. I guess you could say that Arkansas got the best years of his life. I am also happy to have had the privilege of spending a weekend with him, interviewing him, and recording his life story a few years back...a time I will always treasure. His memory was starting to deteriorate due to the affects of Alzheimer's, but it was an interesting story told by a very colorful man.

This is the last time my brothers & I saw him, April 2007.


"God be with you till we meet again." I love you, Pops.

8 comments:

Gina Deceuster said...

I can only imagine how hard that must be. Sure makes us appreciate those we love.

Middleton said...

Sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were able to spend time with him recently. Thanks for sharing more about him with us.

The Holyoaks said...

I love the pics of you and grandpa together, especially the one on the fence.

Rochelle said...

That picture is such a great picture. I'm glad he found some peace towards the end of his life. I think you are such a strong person to be able to forgive him and love him even though there were times it seemed impossible to.

rad6 said...

Wow, what a sweet and hard time. Your thoughts really provoke thoughts of my own. Thanks for sharing them and letting us be a part.

Wageman said...

This picture is amazing!!! And im with Willy (Mrs. Photographer herself)...love the one on the fence!!! And I really love all the people in that picture!

Just us girls said...

There you go getting me all "teary-eyed" again. I love to read all your posts... You're the best! I am going to do my best to capture as many memories with Kinzie, so she always has something to look back at.

The Millers said...

Jenny, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. What special pictures! Thanks for sharing them.