Here is our family on the Mt of Beatitudes after a wonderful testimony meeting. It is hard to be in this beautiful setting & not feel the spirit of Christ's ministry.

On our way up to Galilee we stopped at Caesarea on the Mediterranian Coast where Paul "almost" converted Herod Agrippa to Christianity (Acts 26:28).

The Mt of Olives offers a scenic view of Old Jerusalem. The gold dome building is Muslim shrine (Dome of the Rock) that stands on the ancient temple site. It was interesting to see the strong presence of three religions inside the city walls; the Jews, the Muslims, & Christians alike believe Jerusalem to be a Holy City.

Of course the most significant thing for me was the strong feelings I had as we visited the Garden Tomb. This peaceful setting offers such a contrast to the hustle & bustle of the modern city of Jerusalem. As wonderful as it was to visit all these wonderful places, this humble garden tomb had the most profound impact on me as the promise of the Resurrection was impressed upon my heart..."He is not here, He is risen."

In addition to Israel,we visited Jordan (including the famous city-carved-out-of-rock, Petra, featured in the Indiana Jones movie, The Last Crusade) & the red sand deserts of Wadi Rum. Unbelieveable scenery! Thanks Mom & Dad for the trip of a lifetime...(Am I the favorite now?)
On the way to Jordan, we stopped at the fortress at Masada (The movie by the same name starring Peter O'Toole is actually pretty accurate if you care to rent it & enjoy a little bit of historical reinactment.) It was originally built by Herod the Great as a Pleasure Palace...it has an incredible view of the surrounding area - as it should...it rises 1500 ft above the valley floor.

We felt like "extras" for an Indiana Jones movie standing in front of the Treasury of the city of Petra. Petra, of course, means "rock" & this city is literally carved out of the rock canyon walls & it goes for MILES!

Here is our illustrious "Sheik Larry" & his "Bedouin Princess Jeanne" (aka G'ma & G'pa Fudge). We appreciate them including us on this "trip of a lifetime." You can see more of Petra in the background. (Am I the favorite yet?)

After a donkey ride up a steep canyon...

...we continued walking up the canyons till we eventually came to this magnificent building called the Monastery. (This & the Treasury are the most photographed in all of Petra.)

Believe it or not, I was happy to see this wonderful sign throughout the trip...& this was one of the "nicer" ones we came upon. Here I am waiting patiently...or not! You can see my friend in the back ground wanting to sell me some TP, but I happen to keep such a treasure in my pocket at all times!

After leaving Jordan we headed back to Jerusalem & we stopped in the red sand Deserts of Wadi Rum. Here we are at the top of a little climb enjoying the view.

Of course, I couldn't resist such an opportunity...it's good to know I've still got it...who says 50+ year old g'mas don't know how to have fun?

Our last stop was in Egypt to see the great Pyramids. They are crazy HUGE! Those pharoahs had some kind of ego to build such GINORMOUS monuments to themselves. Amazing civilizations have been buried in the sands & are still being uncovered.
Karen & I rode a camel with the Pyramids of Giza in the back ground...way cool!

Up close & personal with the Sphinx.

In the word's of Steve Martin, "(king Tut) Now, if I'd known, they'd line up just to see him, I'd trade in all my money And bought me a museum. (king Tut)
Now, when I die, now don't think I'm a nut, don't want no fancy funeral, Just one like ole king Tut." (king Tut)"

Did I mention that I was thankful to Mom & Dad for such an awesome trip? (I don't really care if I'm the favorite or not - actually, I'm pretty sure that I'm the favorite daughter-in-law since Paul is their only son)...I'm so happy to be part of such a wonderful family.

Thanks Mom & Dad - I now have personal experiences that will come to mind everytime I read about these places in the scriptures. It was a thrill to be there & an even greater thrill to have shared it with part of my family. I love you guys!
10 comments:
Mom, how exciting! You did a great job capturing some amazing pics. I can't wait to see you guys! Only a few more weeks. Love you.
Wow. That looks like an amazing trip. Great pictures!!
Of all the trips you guys have done I would have to say this is the one I would most like to take myself! You are such a spoiled girl.
Oh and go granny go with the whole handstand pic! your cute!
Jenny what an awesome trip! And to see those sights must have been truly amazing. You are one lucky lady!
What a wonderful trip!! And I understand you took "flat Brigg" with you. Thank you so much for doing that for us! Brigg is going to love the whole thing. You guys are great!
Those are incredible pictures! I'm so glad you posted about it, since my parents are still blog-less. And, by the way, you and Paul look way too hot to be grandparents!
Thanks for the pictures. Man what an awesome experience! I love the picture of you doing a hand stand, that one might just be my fav:)
Ok, I am teaching New Testament right now and this was amazing to me just to see your pictures, I cannot even beging to imagine the experience that you had. I would love for you to share it with my seminary class. Ok let me think of how to work that. Hee hee... you get up early right. Seriously, at least with me and my family. When can I come over for a more full report??? I could feel what you were saying about the tomb as I read. Thanks for sharing such a sweet experience.
I agree it was the trip of a life time but one thing I so enjoyed was the great company we kept (yes, I'm pretty sure you are the favorite) I've felt a little lonely in the morning without you and the hair iron. :)
Post a Comment