

The day we got married, 17 years ago, (I was teaching school in Bakersfield, CA) so Paul drove down from San Jose & picked me up after school...we were headed to Vegas Baby! That's right, I convinced him to run away with me to Las Vegas...no worries, all you church friends, they have a temple in Vegas, too. Vegas is only four hours from Bakersfield, so off we went.
Getting married in Vegas was a "hoot!" 1st stop was the court house where we had to get a marriage license...what a joke! We ran up the steps to the court house & the guard by the door didn't even look up from his newspaper & just pointed in the direction we needed to go without saying a word...how did he know we needed a marriage license? We walked up to the counter & the lady gave us a 3X5 card to fill out with one of those "game" pencils, you know the kind that come in a Yahtzee game? So we fill out the "form" - it was literally our names & address! No ID required! It was that quick & we laughed as we left for the temple, joking that we should come back & fill out more forms for all of our friends & they would get these "bogus" marriage certificates randomly in the mail.
So we got back on the freeway & didn't realize that we missed our exit for the temple until we found ourselves on the way to Mesquite! If any of you know Paul, you know that he times everything perfectly (After all, "every second counts!") - so realizing we were going to be late to our temple appointment, he calls the temple to check their hours & to make sure someone would still be there to marry us.
Their response, "Oh it's okay, Mr. Middleton, we will wait for you."
Paul was surprised because he hadn't identified himself & asked, "How did you know my name?"
The response, "Well, it's Friday the 13th in Las Vegas - you are the ONLY wedding we have scheduled today."
Well, Friday the 13th maybe unlucky for some, but for me...it is the LUCKIEST day of MY life! Happy Anniversary to us!
What, you may ask, did I get for our anniversary? Well, ever since we built the Riverhouse, I have been "pestering" Paul for a water feature in the middle of our circle drive. He insisted that we didn't need a water feature because we have the most beautiful natural water feature in all of California in our back yard...The American River! (Yes, this is our actual back yard.)

...& the grandchildren don't seem to care if there's a water feature in the circle drive - they still love going 'round & 'round on their toys...notice the desolate circle drive in the back ground?

After researching prices & designs - Paul decided to "do-it-yourself" at a fraction of the cost. Macy happened to be here when G'pa Paul began working on MY water feature...did you ever really doubt I would get my way? Macy didn't much like g'pa's tractor...

She preferred supervising from the sidelines...

I had no specifications in mind, I just wanted it to look natural - so Paul worked his magic & created this beautiful water feature for ME...

...a few plants & "VOILA!" The finished product! I was so proud of Paul - he did a fabulous job & it literally became a "labor of love" for him, for me. I AM the luckiest!
15 comments:
Happy Anniversary to you
Happy days will come your whole life through
If I had a wish, then it would be
A Happy Anniver-sry to you from me!!!
I LOVED READING THAT!! You two are some of my favorite people. Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary. I really like dad's creation. I especially like the way it features the water.
Wow... have I ever told you that you are spoiled??? Happy Anniversary!
Happy Anniversary! I thought of you guys all day. I can't believe it's been 17 years. Crazy. I like the water feature. It looks good. You just have to remember to have the "talk" with the grandkids. Love you!
Thanks for sharing your story. The 13th is a lucky day for our whole family cuz we got you, Jenny. (Yes, you were a cutie) This is a good opportunity to tell you how much I love the picture of the both of you at the beginning of your blog. You have gotten better through the years. Happy Anniversary. We love you.
I can't believe it's been 17 years! I know that sounds weird coming from me, but I remember when you both bought the house and I came over to go swimming. You've always been stylish in your era for sure! Congratulations! You guys are the best.
Happy Anniversary!!! I cannot believe that it has been 17 years. Wow. Time flies. That means that I am old.
I like friday the 13th too. My little brother was born that day (a really long time ago) and ever since I decide that it was a GREAT day!
Love the water feature.
Beautiful. Water in front and water out back. Best of all worlds!
Thanks for sharing those pics. I loved them. I think we all have some that are fun to look back on. Happy Anniversary and your present looks great!
Jenny & Paul..Happy Anniversary--belated! It just slipped by me. We loved your blog about your anniversary, Ty' sbirthday, shopping with Dara,building the water fountain, etc. It is really lovely and unique. You two work and play together so well. What an example for all of us. Love mom & dad M. p.s. dad likes the 13th also!
it looks great!!! I didn't even realize you had posted it, I was distracted at the top of the post by your glasses! :) Hahaha! Can't wait to see it in person and drag my children out of it. It will be so fun!!!
Happy 17th Anniversary mom and dad! Both of you… your hair is atrocious.—Ben
I think you guys are so cute. I hope we will be able to share the memories like the two of you have.—Dara
Happy Anniversary!!
I didn't know that story! How fun! Happy Anniversary!
Congratulations! (a little late) and Happy Anniversary. Yes, you two are a beautiful couple. I'm glad you found each other and have affected so many lives in a positive way. You're amazing people!
Post a Comment