Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Party till the “Cowells” come home!

Yeah, I know…that’s a stretch. This past weekend was the Annual “Cowell” Family Reunion (my mom’s side of the family). The Cowell’s came from all over California & as far away as Phoenix & New Mexico for our annual barbeque.

A few days before the reunion, I went to visit Mom so I could ride over to the reunion with her & my brother, Dennis. The night before, I went to dinner with Sylvia (aka “Soch” – a term of endearment we used to call each other in high school. It’s short for “Socialite” or a “Snob.”)



Carrie, Ben & the twins caught up with us & crashed our “girls night out” – it was fun to see her cute little critters; Degan & Lexie.



That next morning, we drove to Templeton (California Central Coast). Mom had us stop to see the new monument to the legendary James Dean – all these years I had no idea that Hwy 46 was the infamous Hwy that tragically claimed his life.



Uncle Roger has inherited the responsibility of “grill master.” Tri-tip is the family specialty, but there is always sausage & chicken that is to die for, too!



This year my cousin Donna’s husband, Joe, shared some of his catch from his Alaskan fishing trip. They made fish tacos as an appetizer…YUM!



Donna & Me – “Dondi” has always been one of my favorite cousins – I just LOVE her!



Being an obnoxious picture taker, I made everyone gather as families this year for a little photo shoot. We started with the Cowell siblings; (standing) Auntie Shirley & Uncle Roger, (seated) Glenda (my mom) & Uncle Al (Uncle Tom passed away in 1987 & Auntie Joyce passed away in 1960).



Uncle Al’s family;(back row) Larry's son Sam, Larry, Gwen's son Casey, Larry's son Jason, Uncle Al (front row) Terri's friend Jerry, Jason's mom Terri, Auntie Betty, Jason's new wife Liz & Larry's son Joe



Mom’s family; Ben, Dara, Terry, Denise, Kristi, Paul, Me, Sam, Amber, Dennis, & Kinzie on Mom's lap.



Uncle Tom’s family;(back row) Heather's husband Bill, Laura's daughter Heather, Laura's son Alan holding his son James, Lonny holding Heather's daughter Serenity, (front row) Joy's son Zach, Joy, & Lonny's wife Laura holding Heather's daughter Emily.



Auntie Shirley’s family; Donna's son Jeff, Auntie Shirley, Donna's son Bryan, Donna, Donna's husband Joe, & Gale.



Auntie Joyce never got a chance to have a family. She was only 17 years old when she was killed in a car accident .

Uncle Roger’s family; Uncle Roger, Craig, Auntie Sandy holding the token "we miss you Brentie" sign.



Mom was happy to have her children with her; Me & Mom with my brothers, Terry & Dennis.




Dennis & Sam haven’t seen each other for a couple of years.



Ben & Dara chillin with Cousin Kristi’s cute little Kinzie.



Cousin Craig’s band entertained us, with Cousin Gale as the guest drummer.



I love my extended family & I love my mommy!



You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. ~Desmond Tutu

8 comments:

Rochelle said...

My mouth is watering thinking about that tri tip...

The McGraths said...

wish i could have been there. maybe next year!

The Horners said...

I didn't know that about James Dean either!

Wish we could have been there. Had I not gotten this job I think I would have. Hopefully next year... it's been so long!

The Holyoaks said...

The Cowells are like brownies . . . sweet with a few nuts. But I'm not naming names. Wish I could have been there too!

The Holyoaks said...

And I did know about James Dean.

Dacia said...

What a great family!

Middleton said...

That picture of you and your mom is super precious! I'll never forget my Cowell reunion experience and the prayer that made me cry! You have a great family!

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

Yes, Amy, we all miss Uncle Charlie & his sweet prayers...