Sunday, May 20, 2012

Like a Good Neighbor...for 35 years!

Paul recently celebrated 35 years as a State Farm Agent!  He didn't want me to make a big deal about it, but I can't just let it pass without acknowledging what a monumental achievement this is!  35 years is a LONG time to have the same job...but he still LOVES what he does & he plans to keep doing it for another 15-20 years, at least!  He finds helping clients with their insurance needs & financial planning for the future is very satisfying & personally rewarding.

Here he is way back in May of 1977 when he started this "good neighbor" journey...


These are the guys he started the business with...he's such a baby!  Most of these agents have since retired.


Through the years Paul has enjoyed company events & conventions & learning from other agents in the business.  Here's one of these early events...check out the entertainment...are you kidding me?


Yes, ol' blue eyes himself serenaded the agents at this Tahoe event in 1978!  

We have also enjoyed such greats as Bob Hope, Bill Cosby, Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr of the 5th Demension, Broadway legend Ben Vereen, Neil Sedaka, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Charlie Daniels Band, Glenn Frey & Don Henley of the Eagles, & other Legends of Rock.  State Farm knows how to throw a party!

Two years into the business, Paul decided that if he had to pay rent on an office building, he might as well pay rent to his Dad - so he moved into his Dad's building & they threw up a sign, "Middleton & Middleton Insurance."  They officed together for some 21 years, until his Dad retired...we still have the sign on the building.

Dad's building in 1978ish...


...after the remodel in 2006. 


Here's one of their early newsletters that they used to mail out to their clients...now we get emails.


That cute little Monique only worked part-time while she was a student at Prospect High School until she went away to college.  Years later, in 2001, I got to teach her son in my 3rd grade class at Graystone...it was a fun reunion when we made that connection.

Occasionally, Paul updates his photo for advertisements & business cards, etc...these gems are from 1983 & 1992...


Our daughter, Jill, did the layout of this most recent update...


Doesn't it look great on our street sign out front?


Paul has always worked hard & he has been recognized many times for his accomplishments in the industry. The company sent this out in a publication to other agents in 2002.


He continues to write quality business & excels in all that he does.  Some of his other accomplishments:
President's Club
Crystal Excellence (He has maintained this honor since he first received it in 2002)
Consistent Ambassador Travel (18 travel trips)
Chairman's Circle Qualifier
Senior Vice President's Club Qualifier
The first CFP agent in BAMA (Bay Area)

Here we are with the CEO of State Farm, Ed Rust Jr.


We were excited when Kyle decided to become an agent...3 generations of State Farm Agents!


Then a couple of years later, our son-in-law, Brent joined the club, too...


When Paul reached his 30th anniversary in the business in 2007, we surprised him in with a little dinner/party.  Some of his favorite past staffers came to help us celebrate...

Standing L-R, Larry Middleton, Jeanne Middleton, Kyle Middleton, Andy's wife Amy & Andy Eyer, Karen Rogers, Paul, Maureen Stewart, & Brent Scopinich.  Seated Nancy Abinanti & her husband Lou, Lucy's husband Ed & Lucy Vasquez, & Steve Arita.  

We had a great time telling Paul stories...all the kids had written tributes & expressions of appreciation.  Karen, Maureen, & Lucy have been Paul's office managers through the years.  We were so happy they could all be there to help us celebrate...of course, Lucy is like family, she's been with us for over 15 years & we're NOT letting her go!



Like a good neighbor...State Farm is there!  And Paul has been right there for his clients for 35 years!

THERE!  I have shamelessly bragged about my husband because, let's face it..."he's kind of a big deal!"

9 comments:

Gina Deceuster said...

Go Dad!

The Holyoaks said...

He IS a big deal! I think it is so great that you recorded all of this.

Dacia said...

I am so glad you did the post - so much to read and especially see all the fun in the past years!

Bassetts said...

I love seeing all the past pictures and tributes. It must have taken awhile to collect it all! You're such a good wife to record it all. Yeah Dad! Glad I got to be a little part of his amazing journey :)

Linda and Rex said...

Can I brag too? He is MY brother. In fact he is my FAVORITE brother and I look up to him.

The Horners said...

I remember seeing Dad's billboard for the first time. Haha, we thought it was funny. Happy work/bus-na-versary!

McBride Family said...

It's so fun to look at all the pictures of Paul and to realize I have memories of all in him from almost all those years and looks. Congratulations!

Lauren said...

I think when I was a youth I must have thought that my leaders lives completely revolved around us because I had no idea that Paul had an OFFICE and BILLBOARD and everything!! That is so cool. I knew he was a State Farm Agent but maybe I thought that was a cover and he really went camping everyday. It is so amazing that he has been so successful at work and STILL made time serve so well in the church. Congrats!

Vanessa Brown said...

It IS a big deal!! I loved reading this!!