Sunday, March 23, 2014

I don't even like golf...

...and Paul isn't quite sure what he did to score tickets to this year's AT&T Pebble Beach National PRO-AM Golf tournament; however, we have learned that State Farm sponsors many events like these & we have been fortunate to be invited!  It was a great experience & I really enjoyed it despite the fact that I really don't like golf!

I managed to "suffer" through these accommodations, The Highlands Inn, over looking the beautiful Pacific Ocean...it is literally tucked up onto these cliffs off Coastal Hwy 1!

Google image


This is the reception lobby (above) & the view outside our room (below)...


They didn't allow camera's but we could keep our cell phones.  We were told not to photograph the tournament play but I did get a few pix of celebrities milling around...Pebble Beach in the back ground...


The course is literally on the beautiful shoreline...



It was raining off & on & VERY windy.  In fact, it delayed tournament play for a couple of hours, so we ate lunch, walked the course, & enjoyed the history of this iconic course...



The tournament started as a charity event in 1937 by Bing Crosby & the winner took home $500.  It was taken over by AT&T in 1986 & this year's winner, Jimmy Walker, took home over $1M...



Professional golfers team up with amateur celebrity golfers for this tournament with the majority of the $6M prize money going to charities.  Here are some of the celebrities we came across close enough for a photo...

 Actor Chris O'Donnell...that is his ball right behind him on the road just off the green...oops!

Professional Football Player Tom Brady impressed me - as they traveled from hole to hole, he would find the kids in the crowd & sign autographs...very classy guy.


Actor Don Cheadle...


Actor Andy Garcia...


Musician Kid Rock drew quite a crowd as he entertained his followers with his colorful personality that seemed to match his colorful attire (patriotic pants)...


Actor/Comedian Ray Romano was pretty hilarious as he interacted with the crowds as well.  After this particular hole he told his caddy that he would catch up with them because he wanted to grab a cookie from the player's tent - so he grabbed a whole plate of cookies & started handing them out to the crowds watching - that inspired great applause...


My favorite moment of the day occurred when they delayed tournament play due to high winds.  As the players were coming off the course, Kurt Russell started walking straight towards me.  I stuck out my hand to shake it & told him that I've been a big fan all my life.  He smiled so big & thanked me & even posed with me for this gem!  I truly have been a fan since he was a child actor for Disney way back in the 60's!


It was pretty exciting & I'm really glad we decided to attend this event...but I'm still not a fan of golf.

4 comments:

Jill said...

how fun to see so many famous people. love your red coat!!

Linda and Rex said...

Not a fan either but look at all the fun and the beautiful things you saw and did. Great little experience. Nice to see that celebs can be kind and gracious too.

Vanessa said...

One day I want to try it! Now I know to invite you and Linda ;)

The Holyoaks said...

So FUn!