Friday, April 18, 2014

Viva Las Vegas!

Way back in February, Paul had a business trip to Las Vegas...naturally, I tagged along.  Waiting in the airport I was wasting time, viewing my Instagram posts & noticed that Paul's sister Karen (who lives in Missouri) was getting ready to leave Vegas.  So I texted her & we made arrangements to meet for a quick hug between gates...


We stayed at the Four Seasons this trip which happens to occupy the top 5 floors of Mandalay Bay...weird, huh?  Look at the fabulous view of McCarran International Airport out our window!  Meh, not my favorite view but the room was nice...


I really do like Vegas because of all the shows & entertainment.  We are not drinkers or gamblers, but we do enjoy the shows!  I usually want to see the newest Cirque du Soleil but this time we tried some new things I've been wanting to do...like the Terry Fator Show.  He is a super talented vocalist/ventriloquist, winner of America's Got Talent.  He put on a very fun & clean show.


The next day we ventured out to see the Neon Boneyard Museum.  This is such a fun tour, viewing all the iconic signs from Vegas of Yesteryear, including some interesting history that goes along with it...


I pulled this image off the internet.  It is the original La Concha Motel that is now the home of the Neon Boneyard Museum.  The lobby itself is such an iconic structure with its la concha shell shape...

Google Image
Behind the building is a yard full of signs that once illuminated The Strip & adding to the excitement of Las Vegas at night...it was fun to stroll through the signs, recognizing many of them & where they used to be or learning about the reason they were chosen for the Boneyard...









The Sahara no longer exists, but it's where Paul & I spent our honeymoon after we were married in Vegas 22 years ago...


I had fun collecting these letters to create my own sign...


That night Paul took me to see the Donny & Marie Show.  Go ahead & laugh...I'm a huge fan & I have been all my life.  I grew up on the Andy Williams show & feel like I grew up with the Osmonds!  They put on a great show & I really enjoyed it - Paul was a good sport...

No photos were allowed during the show & I couldn't figure out the camera lighting for this backlit sign - I'm washed out without the flash & the reflection is blinding with the flash...


As we walked through the lobby to go across the street to Serendipity's, we came across Donny's Dancing With the Stars display that was referenced many times during their show...I'll just say, Marie's still bitter because Donny won & she didn't.


I love me some Serendipity's Frozen Hot Chocolate!  They are so delicious & huge!  I know it looks like we each have our own but we are sharing this one...


The next morning, before we headed out to the airport, we stopped by the Las Vegas Temple where we were married 22 years ago...doesn't seem that long ago...Happy Anniversary to us!


3 comments:

Linda and Rex said...

We lived there 4 years when we were first married. Both Troy and Ryan were born there. Would love to go to the Boneyard. I remember the temple from when you were sealed but it wasn't there when we were there. Nice weekend. I wonder where K&D were going?

Vanessa Brown said...

What a fun trip!

The Holyoaks said...

That looks like a great trip! Your pics of the boneyard are really awesome!