Sunday, April 27, 2014

Calistoga Ranch

Sometimes I have to pinch myself when I think of all the wonderful places I have been with Paul.  People ask me all the time, "What is your favorite place you've ever been?"   That is such a difficult answer because each place is so unique & different - way too hard to compare!  However, I do recognize that I am spoiled to have experienced some pretty fancy-schmancy places...& this place ranks up there with the best!

Calistoga Ranch (near Napa) is in the heart of the wine country - so green & beautiful!


We got to stay in these amazing "cabins" - yeah, not even close to a cabin!  Luxury at its finest!  Both of the buildings you see were ours to enjoy while we were there.  The building on the left is the "living area" while the building on the right was the "bedroom & bath" area...


And let's not forget this outdoor living area in front of the indoor living area that shared a fireplace between the two...



Inside the "indoor living area"...



The door into the bedroom...



The bathroom was as big as the bedroom!  Besides the shower & tub that you see here, there is a sink to the right & a sink to the left along with his & her closets on either side & the "privy" to the right.  But wait...can you see through the glass door & window there?


If you walk through that glass door you would find yourself in this incredible open air "outdoor shower!"


I didn't want to go any where else!  I enjoyed hanging out in our "cabin" while Paul had meetings.  This is where Paul's meetings were...in The Cave!  This meeting room is built into the side of the mountain - perfect wine cellar!  However, this was truly wasted on us since we don't drink nor do we know anything about wines!


Inside the Cave...


I did manage to take a few walks.  This resort is built on old camping grounds, surrounded by beautiful natural woods & streams...


 Yep, I walked all the way up the hill to the Spa...



Another walk took Paul & I up to the top of a hill to see the surrounding valley below.  We found this appropriate "rock message" along the trail...




We managed to get out & explore the area.  We had lunch at the Culinary Institute...


I was amazed by the lamps - yes, this metal baguette & grape vines are working electrical lamps!


Lunch was fabulous!  Olive oil tasting appetizer, butternut squash soup, pork tenderloin, & some fancy beef thingy...



We walked around the cute little shops in town - these train cars have been converted into shops...super cute!


This planter certainly has personality!


I thought this was a fun piece of living art that requires participation.  You are supposed to take a slip of paper & write down what you want "less" of & then tie it to the tree.  For the record, this is not my orange slip of paper.  I just took a picture of a random slip of paper that was already tied to the tree...it made me sad to think this person has hatred in their family.


Another interesting "sculpture"...doesn't look welcoming or comfortable!


We drove by the Calistoga Water Bottling Company & I made Paul stop so I could take a picture of this "bigger than life" metal sculpture of this delivery truck...so fun!


Did you know that there is an "Old Faithful Geyser" in Calistoga?  We didn't.  We stopped to check it out, but it wasn't scheduled to spew any time soon & we were pressed for time (plus, it was kinda pricey!)  Paul's expression pretty much shows how he feels about all the pictures I take...but he loves me.



Incase you want to look this up in the National Geographic or the Sunset Magazine...now they can add us to their list of "notable people."

1 comment:

The Holyoaks said...

So fun! That place looks amazing.