Saturday, November 29, 2014

Give Thanks with a Grateful Heart!

Sometimes, when you are really really busy, it is easy to forget to enjoy the simple things that remind you the God knows you & loves you.  With the holidays upon us, we were looking at a VERY busy time ahead.  I almost decided NOT to decorate for the holidays because we weren't going to be around much with all that we had coming up.  But it just wouldn't seem like the holidays without it & since we were hosting Paul's parents & siblings for Thanksgiving, I felt like I needed to make an attempt.

So the day before Thanksgiving, Paul helped me get down a few Christmas things so I could enjoy some holiday cheer.  I decided to put up my big tree & my nativities in the front room.  As I was starting to decorate, I heard a honking horn & looked out the window to see these cute little blonde heads bouncing down the drive way!  I thought, "What are the little Middletons doing here?  (They are our local blondies.) They are supposed to be in San Jose with Amy's family for Thanksgiving!"  Then I saw Paul scoop one of them up in his arms as another came bounding up the porch steps...it was Terri's family!  They came all the way from Utah to surprise us for Thanksgiving!  I was so happy to see them, I couldn't stop crying!  We hugged & played outside until it was time to come in for dinner...


The kids helped me finish the tree...


G'pa read them a story before bedtime...


That next morning, we had signed up for the Folsom Turkey Trot 5K fundraiser with Rochelle, Cade, & Nicole so we headed out to try to find parking & beat the crowds...


I found a turkey during the pre-run excitement...


This was the last I saw of my family as they ran & I walked the 5K...I know my limits people!


I eventually finished the run while Dad rushed home to put our own turkey in the oven.  I got a ride home with Nicole who was joining us for Thanksgiving along with Rochelle & family...


Thanksgiving is just not the same without loved ones to celebrate with & it was so fun to have a houseful!  Paul & I, his parents, his sister Linda & husband Rex along with their son Troy's family, his sister Karen & her husband Doyle, Rochelle & family, Nicole, & Terri & family!  My heart & home was full...Happy Thanksgiving indeed!










Memphis was a hit & super friendly with everyone...


Olivia loved some one on one time with everyone's favorite Aunt Nicole...



Paul's parents, siblings, & spouses (pictured above) spent the weekend with us & we enjoyed the visit.  It was typically beautiful California weather & we enjoyed walking through Marshall Gold Discovery Park...


Olivia was wearing this special scarf from the dress-ups...not sure whose idea this was...


Not even sure who's leading whom?


The park has river access & the beaches are great for throwing rocks!   Who am I kidding?  Kids + rocks + water = serious rock throwing fun no matter where you are!




The park has recently moved & rebuilt a replica of the Sutter's Mill closer to the actual spot that gold was discovered in 1848.  It was originally on the river but high water would create problems so they moved it closer to the road.  That replica has since become old & unstable so they have built this one closer to the original...




The kids had fun playing & we had fun playing with them!




I have so much to be grateful for - this guy is at the top of the list - closely followed by a loving family!  I don't need the holidays to remember this, but it's nice to feel like we have a special time set aside to celebrate what we are thankful for! I love my family near & far!










No comments: