Saturday, September 5, 2015

August Happened...

August happened…like this…

Youth River Float – the Young Men & Young Women of our ward gathered at the house to float down to Henningsen Park. One last summer activity before everyone headed back to school. Stephen made it a little exciting for me because he insisted on using this blow up pool toy made of light weight plastic. No big deal, until it started to loose air! So I gave him my kayak & I sat in the deflating float as they drug me along…more of a sink than a float. But the kids had fun!






Utah – Terri & Ben asked if I could help out & watch their kids while they headed to Canada for a trip Ben earned with his company.  

Ben & Terri in Whistler, BC, Canada

I had a great time playing with kids! We had a picnic at the Temple, went for walks, played silly games, went swimming & played at a bounce house with cousins.










I even got to visit with a long time friend, Cindy.  We used to teach cheerleading camps with United Spirit Association.



I also got to see Ty & Christi’s new apartment.  Trey was happy to show me around…





Hawaii – we needed a break from our summer break, so we headed to the BIG Island of Hawaii.  Unfortunately, I spent the first couple of days in bed sick, but eventually managed to get out & about.

We visited Punalu’u Black Sand Beach & found some locals sunning themselves on the beach!







We drove up to Mauna Loa, the biggest active volcano on the islands, & hiked a couple of trails in the National Park there…





We explored one of the many Lava Tubes in the area.  These are created as molten lava cools on the outside while hot lava continues to flow through it, creating a tunnel of volcanic rock…




We drove around the island chasing waterfalls (even though the song recommends against it). I love all the beautiful flowers all over the island! We ended up at the sacred valley of Waipi’o…

This is what happens when you drop your cell phone one too many times...the white blurs you see are the cracks on my screen!





We attended a luau…




Paul’s favorite activity was swimming with the Manta Rays at night! He boarded a little boat with floodlights & went out a little ways offshore.  I was looking out from an observation deck that shines their floodlights upon the water to attract the plankton, which in turn attracts the Manta’s.  The seas were a little choppy so I couldn’t see them from the observation deck, but Paul got up close & personal with them in the water!







Google Image

We had a few lovely dinners overlooking the sunset, but my pictures never seem to capture the magic they seem to possess…





Saying goodbye is never easy.  I drove to Bakersfield to say goodbye to a dear family friend, Judy Brewton who passed away. She suffered a severe stroke several years ago & has had health problems since. She had another massive stroke that her frail body was not able to recover from.  Judy had the best since of humor & loved to play practical jokes on people. She was the kind of friend we call family or “framily” – of course many loved ones were also there to support the Brewton/York family, too…




I stopped by & visited Bonnie Lou at the Hockey Hauler Ranch on my way out & this old tree just tugged at my heart…I remember when it was planted.  It has seen some pretty amazing things through the years!

 

Likewise, these oilfields have witnessed a lot through the years, but it was the ‘twisters” or “dust devils” that caught my eye.  I remember playing on our dirt playground at Norris School (there was no grass back then) & these twisters would whip across the playground & the sand would sting when it hit your legs, arms, & body as we would try to hide our faces from its wrath.



Every time I leave Bakersfield I feel like I’m saying goodbye to my childhood.


And August happened…just like that!

No comments: