Sunday, June 26, 2016

Enjoying June

A New Calling

I have been serving in the Young Women's organization for the last four years! It's been super fun to get to know the girls & watch them grow & strengthen their testimonies. I have been an Advisor - teaching Sunday lessons; a Counselor - helping them come up with activities with a purpose for Mutual; Secretary - keeping track of them, helping them stay organized & register for Girls Camp; & a Personal Progress Leader - encouraging their efforts in achieving the Young Womanhood Recognition Award.  Here is our last Personal Progress Activity.  I tend to go all out & try to make it fun for the girls. Sometimes I'm silly...




It's always bitter-sweet to move on & let go of a calling that you love. I love these girls, I love these YW Leaders, I love the Personal Progress program & I know that I will eventually love my new calling & the opportunities for growth it will bring...I will see you girls in Relief Society!




Happy Birthday!

We got to help Ben celebrate his 38th birthday. We just brought a little treat & went by to visit. How did he get so old, I get so old?


This little nugget also had a birthday! When I think back at the rough start this little one had, I am grateful for the miracle she is! She is healthy & happy & celebrating her first birthday! Happy Birthday Ryan Daranni!





Gifts of Summer

I love my summer garden! Everything tastes better home-grown! We had a ton of plumbs this year, too. We have to pick them all at once before the birds get to them because we have learned that birds like home-grown, too!


Another benefit of living here is the beautiful gift that nature provides. We have tons of critters around. I like to feed the birds & hummingbirds. I caught this random finch perched on the hummingbird feeder outside my bathroom window.


Every year we always get little fawns running around the property...they are the cutest little things!




Friends

Yes, I have a friends. Sometimes they come to visit! We were delighted to host the Ybarras for a couple of nights as they were passing through from Utah on their way to the beach. They wanted to show their son-in-law the California that they love. I'm glad we made their itinerary. We took them white water rafting & enjoyed visiting with them. Demi & Michelle even helped me with a couple of quilts I was working on...




Michelle helped me during a very difficult time in my life - when I went back to school to finish my degree. She watched our elementary school kids after school, helped them get their homework done, & hosted their Day Hiker's Club (taking them to hike local trails in our area). She was a lifesaver & the kids had such a great time! The plan was for me to help her when she went back to school...but she moved to Utah instead...I love Michelle!


Vicky & Mikey had a company retreat across the river from us. It was nice to just chill with them & enjoy some down time. Vicky is my partner in crime friend. We've taken many adventures together - literally, all over the world! They are our traveling buddies. Our kids call them their "Godparents" because they were the designated caregivers in our will when the kids were younger. If anything ever happened to us, they would be our children's guardians. The problem with that arrangement (in hind sight) was that whenever we were out & about where something "might" happen to us, Mike & Vicky were usually with us! 


No comments: