9/11/2001 - I was picking kids up from seminary & heard a casual radio report about a plane that hit the World Trade Center. I thought out loud, "What idiot could NOT see the WTC?" Thinking some small little plane "accidentally" hit the top, a little damage to the plane, no one got hurt, etc. It wasn't until I actually got to school (I was teaching 3rd grade at the time) that I began to understand. I turned on the TV to try & get more information... I was a basket case by the time the students showed up. How was I going to keep it together in front of these 8 & 9 year olds? Teachers & administrators were in & out all day long, the TV stayed on in the back of the room with the volume down & phone calls were allowed in & out of the classroom (I was relieved when Paul finally called to tell me that our son-in-law, Brent, wasn't flying that day - he was safe at home!). A few of my student's father's were on business trips in New York & they hadn't heard from them yet & some parents came & got their children. We let the students talk about it & ask questions & we watched the story unfold together but we tried to carry on as normal as possible...it was the longest day ever! All I wanted to do was go home to my family. When we finally got home, Leah, Nicole, Terri, & Ty were home already & we all sat in front of the TV in disbelief & cried & hugged & prayed - it was so frightening.
Have you forgotten?
Those disturbing images...
Heroes among us...
Those who still fight...
Your prayers?
May we continue to pray for those lost, for courage to carry on, for strength to endure, for wisdom to understand, for leaders of nations to do all in their power to establish peace on the planet, for sons & daughters to come home safely. I'm proud to be an American & I'm grateful for the sacrifice of others who protect us from more days like this one.
I will NOT forget...because the Lord blessed our family with a reminder of the sacredness of life - Adison Faith Middleton was born on this day in 2006 & every year we get to celebrate her life & the hope that comes with "new life." We remember that she was born on this solemn day...the day so many returned to that God who made them & we celebrate the memory of their lives through the joy she brings us. Happy Birthday Adison - we love you!




6 comments:
That day brings tears to my eyes and when I read about how your class felt and how the kids had parents off in New York that broke my heart. So many beutiful people were lost that day but also so many people came together for so much support. I hope that we don't have to experience those kinds of things again in our lifetime. Love ya!
I felt really uneasy about having a baby on that day at first but a 12 year old friend pointed out quickly that she would always be a reminder of New Life and God's faithfulness in overcoming evil with good.
And no I will never forget!
Your post brought that day back to me as well, remembering where I was and how I felt. I talked about that day with Ethan for the first time this year (we read "The Man Who Walked Between the Towers) and it was strange to think that he wasn't even a part of our lives when it happened. I have a brother who is over in Iraq right now. He's been there over a year and comes home around Thanksgiving. He's been safe on a base the whole time, but he has missed over a year with his family. I'm really grateful for his sacrifice and the sacrifice of so many who go to protect our freedom. Thanks for a great post!
My favorite children's books about 9/11: "Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J Harvey" by Maira Kalman, "Bravemole" by Lynne Jonell (proceeds donated to WTC orphan fund), & "September 12th: We Knew Everything Would Be All Right" by first-grade students of H. Byron Elementary school.
I remember that day so well, also. What a emotional experience. I watched "World Trade Center" again last weekend and it gave me goosebumps and I cried again . . .
We were living in Cottonwood at that time and we could not pull ourselves away from the TV. It was a very emotional day and still continues to be. But thankful that God has blessed this day for us with the birth Adison to remind us of all the good He brings into our lives to overcome the evil.
Post a Comment