Saturday, September 20, 2008

The LDS Cannery

Paul is the High Priest Group Leader in our ward & one of his responsibilities is to get volunteers to serve at the cannery in Sacramento. When G'ma & G'pa Middleton were serving their missions at the Bishop's Storehouse & the Cannery in San Jose, we went a couple of times as a family to help - but I never realized what a slick set up we have in the Church Welfare program...check out http://providentliving.org/.

They bring the tomatoes in by the truck load (we had four truckloads waiting)...


Then they send them down conveyor belts, similar to these, & wash them...


Then they continue on the belts & people hand sort the bad ones & send the rest to be "cooked" or "juiced" - Since I lost my camera in Brazil, I took a couple of pics with Paul's phone, but this is the only one that wasn't too blurry...here we are in front of one of the four batches of tomato juice that Paul was supervising.


The tomatoes & the juice is then canned, labeled, & boxed for distribution. We were there for a 4 hour shift & we boxed thousands of cans for a lot of "someones" in need. It was a great "date night" & we were happy to contribute to one of the many facets of the Churches Humanitarian efforts.

9 comments:

Chris Holyoak said...

All I can say is . . . "One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. Schlemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated!"

The Millers said...

That is pretty cool. You and Paul are always up to something interesting!

The Horners said...

Dad looks really happy to take that picture! Sorry, you should have taken my camera!

kelly ferg said...

I had no idea that you could do that at the cannery. Way to make alot of "someone's" lives alot better.

Middleton said...

Yeah for doing your part for those in need! I think you look super cute in your little net. Too bad they don't do field trips! So educational.

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

Gina says: "Wow! I can't say it any better than that...wow!!"

Melinda said...

Holy Cow, that's quite an impressive operation! It makes me feel good that our church and members like you and Paul are doing all that work to help those who need it.

rad6 said...

Ok, love the tomato days at the cannery!!!! Maybe we will run into you there. We did not get an assignment yet... weird... maybe we missed it somehow, we usually go every year. Our last bishop was horrible though, ALWAYS stated a MAJOR tomato fight!!!! Came home smelling like tomoatoes for days!!!! So fun!

karen garner said...

wow - fascinating - can't wait to see you 2 weeks from today