Saturday, February 14, 2009

Generations of Love...

When I was a little girl, I LOVED my G'ma Harwell's sugar cookies! She always had a cookie jar full of them in her kitchen. I remember helping her make them a few times - it wore my little arm out trying to mix the dough & she didn't use a cookie cutter - she used the rim of a glass drinking cup or the rim of a mason jar to cut perfectly round circles of those sweet, delicious treats. It was a happy childhood memory.

When I was a young newlywed, I wished I had taken time to get that recipe from her. About that time or shortly after, my Aunt Dorothy decided to put together a family cookbook & she collected recipes from all of us & compiled a wonderful family heirloom that I treasure...& in that book...my cousin June had submitted G'ma Harwell's sugar cookie recipe! I couldn't wait to make them, but I was sorely disappointed when I did - they were not easy to make & they didn't turn out anything like my grandmother's cookies. They were hard & dry & could have broken your teeth trying to bite into one!

Now years later...& a little more experience in the kitchen...I wanted to try to make them again. I've been thinking a lot about my grandmother - so for Valentine's Day, I wanted to make her sugar cookies into little heart shaped delights for the sisters that I Visit Teach. "Voila!" They were not only delicious, but they were "so cute" (as Amy would say) & I couldn't bring myself to give them away! Isn't that sad?



Paul is such a "cookie monster" - he really wanted to get his hands on them, but I wouldn't even let him have one! I just wanted to look at them! I was so proud of myself! It's a good thing we had some surprise visitors yesterday so those cookies didn't go to waste...I finally even let Paul have some. After all, grandmother's cookies are for grandchildren!



One of the reasons I've been thinking so much about my grandmother (both of them actually) is because our Stake hosted a Stake Temple Day this morning on Valentine's Day. We had the privelege of doing some special sealings...It was such a sweet experience to remember, honor, & celebrate the love of my grandparents & great grandparents in such a special way on this day of love. I love & appreciate my family very much & I'm grateful to have known my grandparents personally & realize that they helped to shape the person I am today. It's not just about the cookies...

Loyd & Naomi Cowell
Robert & Eva Harwell

10 comments:

Rochelle said...

Cute mom! Any left over for us tomorrow when we come for your birthday? :)
I thought the temple was closed? Did you guys staff the sessions yourself?

The McGraths said...

How exciting. When Jill said you were at the temple yesterday, I had no idea it was for such a special reason. Thats so exciting!

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

My cousin Donna wrote: Just a note to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Have a great one and refuse to do any dishes on your day!
Love you lots :) (loved your valentine cookies).

Dan and Janay said...

Sister Jenny, you forgot to add the recipe!

Mary said...

Those cookies look sooo good!! I love sugar cookies, can you post the recipe?

Bassetts said...

Mmmmm...those look yummy. Maybe you can pass on some more generations of love so we can enjoy the scrumptious treats.

Bassetts said...

I'll bet the temple session was wonderful. What a neat experience.

Comarsh Crew said...

Hey Sis Middleton... That is so amazing you were able to do the temple work for your grandmothers. How special that must have been for you! Oh yea, the cookies look scrumptious! Hope you don't mind me checking out your blog =)

Linda and Rex said...

It is amazing to me how the littlest, simpliest things bring back memories. What sweet memories of your granmother. Now that you can make them they can become a memory for your granchildren. I feel sorry for your VTs. They would have liked them to. Learn to share.:)

karen garner said...

What a beautiful - treasured blog. What a great temple experience.