Monday, July 6, 2009

Happy Birthday America...& Cade!

We enjoyed a little weekend get together with the local kids...we had a 4th of July "sleepover!" We actually gathered Friday night to celebrate Cade's 4th b'day...we played soccer, volleyball, a crazy board game called "Talking Tango," - We had a wheel barrell race & a hoola hoop contest.



,,,and of course...a pinata! We tried to beat some sense into Sponge Bob who (in my opinion) needs to learn a few manners!


There were pinata goodies everywhere...


I think Cade had a good time, I know I did!


The next morning, we had our very first "flag raising ceremony!" The g'kids helped Paul get ready. He had set the pole's base in cement & the kids helped him cover the cement with rocks...


...then they brought the 20 ft pole out to the cemented, anchored base.


The pole is "telescoping" to make it easier to attach the flag - everyone got to hold the flag - we discussed the importance of the flag & how we should treat it with respect.


After the flag was raised, we recited the Pledge of Allegiance together.


What would the 4th of July be without a parade? The kids marched around while the music played "You're a Grand Ole Flag."


In the heat of the day, the River was calling so we took the kids down the River in rafts & kayaks. The 4th of July is a perfect day for family fun.


However, there are many brave men & women who did not get to spend the 4th with their families because they are over seas, protecting our freedoms -


We didn't brave the crowds to watch fireworks this year, but as the day ended, my heart was full of gratitude for those who make sacrifices so that I can enjoy days like this with my family. Happy Birthday America, I pray for you - I pray for us...that we can turn our hearts back to the Christian values that helped to shape this great country of ours. May God continue to bless America.

4 comments:

The McGraths said...

CUTE! Love the new flag pole! It's the perfect touch! Can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks!!!

Gina Deceuster said...

What a perfect Independence Day! Miss you guys!!

Linda and Rex said...

I loved your post. I felt like I should stand up and salute the flag. What a great way to celebrate our countries birthday. How special for Cade as well. Looks like Grandma still has her groove in the hoola hoop contest. Glad you got your flag pole.

Jill said...

what a great July 4th! could you send me your address? your washi eggs are finally ready! maybe you could email it to me. jillangell@hotmail.com
thanks!