Paul & I had an opportunity to visit Vienna, Austria (another awesome "good neighbor" trip). Vienna is the "home of the waltz" & was once the center of culture in Europe. We hit the ground running & never stopped - taking advantage of its close proximity to many great sites...
...like the "glorietta" at the beautiful gardens of the Schonbrunn Palace (Home to Napoleon's mother-in-law's place).
We took the train for a day trip into Budapest, Hungary. I learned that Buda & Pest were actually two cities at one time, divided by the Danube River; Buda is on the upper side of the river & Pest on the lower side.
Budapest is now considered one city. Here we are on the "Buda" side - you can see "Pest" on the other side of the Danube.
The Danube River is NOT "blue" like the famous waltz suggests - it is merky, but I still had to stick my toes in the slimey water.
We took another day trip by bus into Salzburg, the home of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart & the famous Von Trapp Family from The Sound of Music. Our tour guide actually played the movie on our drive to the city, pointing out all the sites that we would see - absolutely beautiful country side. Here we are at the fountain at Mirabelle Palace...
... & the famous steps that the Von Trapp family were hopping up & down while singing Do Re Mi. (Yes, that is a wedding in the back ground - I guess the photographer will have to photoshop all the tourists out.)
They had these huge pretzels that were delicious...
Salzburg is on the banks of the Salzach River, with an old fortress up on the hill overlooking the entire area.
We took another day trip into Prague,Czech Republic. It was pouring rain, but it was still fun to be in such an exciting city.
I loved all the shops - especially all the handmade marionettes.
Of course I have to visit every Hard Rock Cafe that we come across - Rock & Roll is such a universal phenomenon that seems to bring the world together... "We are the world, we are the children." Oh, MJ...
I was drenched at the end of the day so Paul bought me a dry sweatshirt for the long ride back to Vienna so I would be comfortable...Czech me out!
Yes, we did see all the sites in Vienna, including the Hofburg Imperial Palace, a couple of museums, & the famous statue of Johann Sebastian Strauss in the Stadtpark.
We even ate "wiener schnitzel" which I learned was not a hot dog type of sausage...it is a battered & deep fried meat (typically pork). If you order "schnitzel with noodles" in Austria, they will know you are American - these are Not a few of the Austrians' favorite things, they never eat them together!
One of my favorite things we did in Vienna was to attend a concert; Strauss, Mozart & Hayden composed many great waltzes & operas & even ballets. We had a sampling of these masters at the Kursalon Theater. It was a wonderful evening (though this photo of me isn't so wonderful). The concert was a perfect way to end such a fabulous trip!















13 comments:
So fun!!! Sounds like another fun trip for you world travelers. Hope you are having fun with all your kids!!
I'm so jealous. I would love to go to Austria!
I love that someday when Kyle and I have time and money (2 very important things needed to travel) we have you and Paul to guide us along.
Okay, that was my attempt at not being jealous and thinking positive!
Did you know you are living my dream life?? =) That looks like such an amazing trip!
Wow, what an amazing trip. The pictures are so fabulous. Thanks for sharing.
I think I will go watch the sound of music now.
:)
What a fabulous trip. I love to travel vicariously with you through your blog, especially since a trip to the grocery store seems to be as far as I get from my house lately! Thanks for the pick-me-up! (although I'm pretty sure that "The Lonely Goatherd" song that started playing in my head as soon as I started reading about your trip will stay with me the rest of the day!) Oh-de-lai--hey!
it's so cool that you have been able to travel to so many amazing places - looks like another amazing trip!
What beautiful pictures!! How fun!
Hey there you two - it's me Jen - your blog is so much fun to read - what a great trip! Come visit over on my blog I would love to share it with you.
Wow! That sounds like it was such a fun trip. Those are sure some great pictures! And yes, we saw the rock that mom painted for you guys. The funny thing is that we didn't know that is was for you and paul and we were wondering which grandchild was getting that one! Because which ever granchild was getting that one was for sure her favorite!!!
you guys take the best trips! Loved all the pictures!!!
you guys take the best trips! Loved all the pictures!!!
What a great trip. Loved the picture of you two at the train station. We spent a lot of time in those in Denmark and Sweden. What would we do without them.
Post a Comment