Several of our grandchildren are really into trains right now, so we thought we would center our activities around trains – hince, the train theme evolved. We thought it was an appropriate way to kick off our 1st annual family reunion, more affectionately known as “Camp Middleton 2009”…ALL ABOARD! Hang on – it’s a crazy ride!
We kicked off our party on Saturday, doing what we do best…rollin’ on the River & coolin' off!
After Church on Sunday, G’pa Paul helped the little ones act out scripture stories. I drug out old nativity costumes that their parents wore when they were little. G’pa narrated & told each “character” what to say as they acted out the scriptures.
Monday was a water day. We picked up this fun little gem for ½ price (thank you Walmart) & Amy brought over theirs – the kids had a blast…even the BIG kids!
After lunch we went up to the campgrounds & played in their pool. (My cousin’s friend is the manager at the campgrounds – thanks Chris!)
That night for Family Night, G’ma sat the little ones on the back steps & told them the story of The Little Engine That Could – how she took on a challenge with a positive attitude, “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can…” (Frozen Gogurts for treats...)
Things cooled off a little bit on Tuesday, but we managed to stay busy. Everyone painted their own box car for an activity we were doing later on in the week. Painting with toddlers is a challenge, but a VERY BIG HIT! They enjoyed being creative!
After dinner we cranked up the firepit for some “smore” fun …
We entertained ourselves throwing rocks in the River…
G’pa set up the tent for a little grandparent sleepover...
Livi's just a little too young - maybe next year?
Of course, Dr Seuss, showed up…
Girls on one side...
Guys on the other…
Wednesday morning we took the kidlets to the Folsom Zoo. I love the Folsom Zoo, it’s the perfect size for toddlers’ short attention spans. I also like that they are a sanctuary to some very special animals - all are non-releasable. Many were raised, and rejected, as wild pets. Others were injured or orphaned in the wild. They have names and personalities, and their individual stories are posted at the exhibits.
Of course we had to ride the train - in fact, we pretty much filled it up!
We made our way to Ol’ Town Sacramento on Thursday to visit the Railway Museum. I had hoped to ride the old steam engine they have there, but they only operate on Saturday & Sunday.
G’pa bought each family a train set to enjoy when they got back home & help them to remember their time with their cousins.
That evening we had our own little train parade of box cars, with G’ma leading the parade. “One little, two little, three little box cars…”
We even had a train race!
That night we played games – Family Fued, Dominos, Guess Who? Just hangin’ out like old times…
Early Friday morning, G’pa took the more adventuresome to the Middle Fork of the American River for some serious whitewater…Here are the thrill seekers followed by Paul's boat, Ty & Nicole working together, & Kyle's boat. They had a great time!
The rest of us headed to Bounceopolis - great little "bounce" house with two rooms; one for the littles & one for the biggers...
That night we busted out the T-shirts (designed by Uncle Ben) & took a few group pictures - 16 adults & 18 children = 34 out of 40! (We missed you Kiff & T's Ben, & of course Leah & family...Leah was busy adding to this crazy family the night before with her 2nd little girl! More on that later!)
We celebrated our guest of honor’s birthday – Happy B’day G’ma Jeanne!
Finally, we celebrated our talents with our Family Talent Share & our special MidCart Production of "Little Bunny Foo Foo."
One last float to Henningsen Park before peeps started heading home…
…winding down in the early evening, taking advantage of the low water & exploring the River…
God be with you till we meet again – Aug 2010.

















































































11 comments:
You really know how to throw a party and it looks like so much fun. However... I have still not recieved the adoption papers so I hope I'm in the pics next year!! :) What great memories you are making for everyone!!!
Whew! What a week! These pics bring back a lot of fun memories!!
looks like a great time! one of these years we need to have a camping families family reunion!
Is it okay if I just reference your post on my blog? I think you pretty much covered it! Good job! And on your pokey internet and everything!!!
oh my gosh I love it! looks like y'all had a blast!!
ps I noticed when we had our reunion at your place you had some super cute rain boots, do you by chance remember where you got them?
Kariana, I'm all about Target...that's where the rain boots came from - last years model. :)
Always LOVE seeing your ginormous family all together in a photo! The box train was too cute!!! You guys are full of great ideas. Such fun grandparents you two are with such a beautiful family! (Love that Amy finally made it into a photo . . . hopefully she'll get over it soon) :)
Man I wish you and Uncle Paul were my grandparents!!
What a fun week, I'm sure the kid will never forget it. Thanks for sharing your great pictures:)
Jenny-Can I just say that I really admire you and your husband for what great grandparents you are. I love how you play and prepare and make these great events for your children and grandchildren. You truly are amazing and have done a great job bringing two families together and being strong influences for good on the importance of family. I've always admired your love for your children. Thank you for giving Cindi the chance to come and be with us for Lorren's wedding. It was so good for her and we love her so much and enjoyed having her alone for a couple of days. I want to be a grandma like you some day. Thanks for being my friend too. And this family reunion looked awesome. Your family will always remember your great love!
I just love your family =) Looks like you guys had a great time!
Oh my goshhhhhh - what great pictures - what an awesome reunion with a great theme and fabulous activities!!!! You sure know to have a great time......
Post a Comment