Thursday, July 8, 2010

Celebrating Independence Day Weekend…

We began & ended our holiday weekend with family. Da Boyz brought their parents over for the weekend - Uncle Ben & Aunt Dara, along with the Lil’ Middletons joined us Sunday evening. Of course we rafted, played outside in the heat, played games, watched the fireworks, & ATE A LOT!!!

Here’s a little glimpse at our celebration…



This was Trevor’s first raft trip so as soon as we saw their boat out the kitchen window, I ran outside to snap a few photos & document the experience & this is what I saw…they are on the wrong side of the river, a paddle is floating in the water, & Nicole is pulling Rochelle in…




Well, this explains a lot…Brent (the guide) got tossed out in trouble maker & is coming in without his boat, while the boat is “guideless” heading down river. Of course when G’pa realized what happened, he literally ran down the road & jumped in the boat at Sutter’s Mill & since we can’t take the boats out anywhere on State Park property, he took them the rest of the way to the next closest take out at Henningsen Park. Not to worry, Brent was fine & hopped in a kayak & joined the group down river.



We had lots of good grub & G’pa had lots of helpers at the grill!



Rochelle “made” Trevor help in the kitchen because he was “bored.” He made a family favorite, the famous Seven Layer Dip. This one actually has 10 layers, he counted - & notice the olives in the corner? That was G’pa’s idea…can’t have too many olives! Good job, Trevor & lovely pose for the camera, too!



G’ma’s newest toy…





What would the 4th of July be without Fireworks? (Less crowded!) Actually, we were pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t that bad. We drove to Placerville & parked in the Rite Aid parking lot for a “tail gate” fireworks show (because we’re cheap & we didn’t want to pay for stadium seating). The kids climbed all over the cars, we bumped the volleyball around in the parking lot, G’pa gave shopping cart rides to the kiddos, & I did my best to embarrass the family with my festive attire & my flag-waving parade antics…







Happy Birthday America!




We did have a tragedy over the weekend. These are my beautiful garage doors designed by Garage Doors, Inc of San Jose…look closely at the little spec in the lower left section of the door…




Who knew they would be so “deadly?” RIP – “Ribbet In Peace” little froggy.



Game On!!!




Everyone got into the game…



Well, almost everyone. It’s hard to drag little boys away from dirt & rocks!



Saying goodbye with hugs…



It’s always great to celebrate with family.

I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free.
I won’t forget the men who died & gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly, Stand Up, next them & defend her still today.
There ain’t no doubt, I love this land - God Bless the USA!

9 comments:

Middleton said...

I LOVE you for not having a certain someone show up in this post! You are the best!!!! The frog picture was NASTY and who the heck is that young lady in the green shirt... she looks way too old to be one of your grandkids! But shes a beauty for sure! Thanks for the good times and the late night games - we had a blast!

Rochelle said...

I love that you left out my fight with an old man on the side of the river. Ha Ha. Such a fun weekend. Still recovering...

The Horners said...

Wow! Sounds like it was a party. Too bad we missed it. I love that Brent fell out and is walking in the river and I love that dad came to the rescue, of course! That frog picture is so funny but so sad. Glad you guys had fun!

Dacia said...

4th of July is one of my favorites - it seems less stressful and time to just enjoy! Looks like you had fun!!!

Shantel said...

Love the frog pictures. Too funny - but kinda sad at the same time...

Camille said...

You guys know how to celebrate! :) Sounds like a lot of fun!

Gina Deceuster said...

Crazy river story!! And the frog...oh queasy. All that aside, Independence Day is my favorite!

Bassetts said...

What an eventful holiday! Love the festivities. What's the Riverhouse without the river, huh? Funny how Dad ran out there to help. Only in the MidCart family :) You are so clever with that frog biz.

karen garner said...

wow - do you have the cutest grandkids ever - what a bunch of dolls - can't believe how much you get to see them and how many great things you get to do together. You really know how to celebrate!