Saturday, July 28, 2012

NYC & Bermuda


July has been a blur...

Sometimes even I can't believe all we can pack into 31 days!  Since my last post we have been to NYC & Bermuda (compliments of State Farm); welcomed a new granddaughter in Valencia, CA & a new grandson in Port Orchard, WA; enjoyed an honors dinner in Sausalito, CA; & hosted a Middleton Family Reunion here at the Riverhouse.

Let's just take one thing at a time & try to catch up...

Paul & his team at the office had another great year.  He qualified for the Ambassador Travel trip to Bermuda with an extended stay in New York City.  Unfortunately, we got stuck in Chicago en route...our flight was delayed due to power outages on the east coast.  We spent most of the day at O'Hare as we moved from gate to gate while our flight was rescheduled several times & eventually cancelled....


We had to spend the night (at our own expense) at this lovely little place near the airport...


We were pretty bummed because we were headed to the famous Waldorf Astoria...


...we finally got there a day late, missing a night in this luxurious hotel, a city tour, & Spiderman the Broadway play we had paid for...but I'm not bitter (anymore).  What are you gonna do?  These things happen.

We did make it in time for a quick walk around the block...before our sunset dinner cruise around the Lady in the Harbor.  We headed straight for Time Square...


We even made it on the Jumbo Tron...



I'm such a tourist!  Time Square has some crazy fun people watching!

I love Rockerfeller Plaza!  Our hotel is right around the block from 30 Rock.


We did get to participate in a fabulous dinner cruise up the Hudson River & around the harbor taking in the skyline & the beautiful sunset...


Around Manhattan & under the Brooklyn Bridge...

Passing the USS Intrepid, the new permanent home of the Space Shuttle Enterprise...


Tons of sailboats on the bay...


I LOVE Lady Liberty.  I get emotional EVERY time I see her.



The Chrysler Building was right outside our bedroom window...impressive building!


The next day we took a cab to the Guggenheim Museum, neither of us had ever been there.  It is such a unique structure designed by the renowned Frank Lloyd Wright.  I'm not a big fan of modern/impressionist art, but the building's unique ramp design is impressive.



We walked by the MET & Central Park...


The Apple Store in the Big Apple & Trump Towers...


We passed a crowd of people who were looking at something across the street.  As we came closer, we realized they were filming a movie.  The crowd was staring at Ben Stiller...no big deal...


I found this fun Michael Kors bag & I finally got to see The Jersey Boys - I love Franky Valli & the Four Seasons!


That night we ate at Carmine's with some friends, family style Italian...delicious!


It was a shorter visit than I would like, but I will take what I can get.  I love New York!

The next morning it was raining when we headed to Bermuda.  The forecast promised more of the same while we were there...luckily, it only rained in the evenings & we had just enough wind to create a nice breeze & kick up a little sand.  We stayed at the Southhampton Princess Hotel...


The view from our window...


We had time to sign up for some activities & make our dinner reservations before the welcome event that evening.  Bermuda is a UK Territory, roughly 20 square miles with about three major tourist areas.  Besides their beautiful beaches & amazing reef surrounding the island for snorkeling & diving - golfing & shopping is about the only other attractions.  Our first stop was historic St George...it consists of a town square - the end!  They do have this cute little "public dunking" reenactment & of course, I had to have my picture taken with the Town Cryer who then singled Paul out to participate...


A pulblic dunking is a form of punishment given to a member of the community to discourage them from a certain activity.  This particular "winch" was accused & found guilty of being a "nag & a gossip."  She was sentenced to public humiliation by dunking.

 She was sat on a seat at the end of a long beam...


Paul was given the rope at the opposite end of the beam (because he was the tallest) & was charged with pulling her out of the water as directed...



Paul does NOT enjoy the spotlight, but he was a good sport & it was certainly fun for me.  When the winch was released, she came & shook the water off onto all the men who helped to dunk her...


That was pretty much the only thing to see in St George's.

My favorite thing to do was hang out at the beach & luckily we did a lot of that...




Bermuda is famous for it's turquoise water & pink sands.  The pink sands are due to the red foram from the decomposing shells/critters that live around the reef that surrounds the island.  It also has a few Portugese Man-0-War jellies floating about...these were caught on the beach we were hanging out at...yikes!


I spent most of my time in Bermuda in the hotel room, sick.  Fever, chills, aches, flu-like symptoms...at least the room was comfortable & I was able to rest.  I read the entire Hunger Games series & slept quite a bit.  Not much fun for Paul, but we don't get to pick when we get sick.  It was pretty relaxing...


I brought the sickies home with me & went straight to the doctor when I got home.  She gave me some drugs & sent me to bed.

2 comments:

The McGraths said...

That Pirate is poking your boob with his bell. "That's what she said" hahaha. I love youguys! Glad you had a great trip!

The Horners said...

That picture of you guys on the big screen made me laugh! Did you tell Ben Stiller that he looked "ridiculously good looking?" Looks like a fun trip! JEALOUS.