As much as I love Women's Conference, I love the chance to see our Utah kids & grandkids even more! Leah picked me up from the airport the afternoon before the conference so I could spend a little time with her family before we were tied up in classes all day long.
The girls are very helpful in the kitchen...
Lexi put on a show for me...this girl is hilarious! I loved her little animals all lined up - they were part of her audience...
I have to admit, Cooper is one cute little guy! His face lights up when he smiles & he has such a calm personality...& the fact that he smiled at me every time he saw me just melted my heart!
Terri couldn't make it on Thursday, so Leah & I headed over for Day 1 of the conference...
It is easy to get discouraged on our journey through life & it was nice to be reminded that we are not alone...in fact, it is overwhelming to see the number of sweet sisters who come from all over the place to "fill their own cup."
In the past, more of my girls were able to make it to WC but as their families grow it becomes more difficult for them to get away. Leah & I enjoyed the opening remarks & I loved listening to her re-cap what she had learned in her favorite class when we met up again later. It brings me great joy to see my children find happiness in seeking after good things...
We met up with Terri for dinner, along with Aunt Linda, Cousin Rebecca, Paul's cousin Pat, & her daughter Sara. It was fun to visit & catch up with what everyone was doing.
Leah couldn't come to the conference on Friday, but Terri joined me for Day 2 after she dropped Olivia off at school. We skipped the 1st class & browsed through the BYU bookstore...
I decided to take Terri over to visit an old high school friend, Steve Sorenson, who works at BYUtv. Steve gave us a quick run down of what he does for BYUtv & it was fun to visit & catch up with what his family is doing. Steve's dad was my very 1st Bishop after I joined the church in 1974. I danced & cheered with his sisters for years. I have fond memories of Steve & his family.
We met up with cousins for the closing session & said goodbye to the conference till next year.
I went home with Terri that evening to spend a couple of nights with her, but the next day I made arrangements to spend the day & hike the Y with my old college BFF, roommate, & gymnastics teammate.
Here we are with the rest of the 1974-75 BYU gymnastics team...
I was so excited to see her! It had been 30 years since we saw each other last.
It was a very warm day & I had to stop several times to catch my breath. I didn't anticipate the difficulty I would have with the altitude in Utah & it was a difficult hike for this old lady! The view was pretty amazing!
This photo gives you a pretty good idea of how big this Y is...
We made it & enjoyed chit-chatting & remembering good times. We laughed & cried & remembered why we grew to be such good friends...
The campus looks so tiny from way up there & Utah Lake looks huge!
When I set the goal to hike the Y, I knew I wanted Kiki to be there with me. I can't think of my experiences at BYU without thinking of her & it was only fitting that she should do this crazy thing with me. Life can be difficult & we all have mountains to climb. It's nice to have good friends to help you along the way.
That evening we were going to meet Leah & family for dinner but we had a couple of hours to kill so we ended up at Hee Haw Farms. There was a small petting zoo, a pony ride, an animal train, a slide, & a hay ride...not as big as Cornbelly's, but it was fun. Even though I had my camera with me, I don't think I took one picture! I'm so glad Terri is into pix or I wouldn't have any to remember my visit - I stole all of these from her!
These goats were aggressive!
We ate at Tepanyaki's - Jude was NOT a fan of the noise & the big flames, but he was fine once the show was over...
Such cuties!
After church the next day we took a long walk before heading to the airport. I got to take my picture on the "picture rock" & the kids made me feel special & loved...
It is difficult to be so far away from family, but makes it a little easier to see them so happy & doing such a great job with their own families. I feel so blessed to be a mom & G'ma.






1 comment:
I am glad you took the trail to the "Y" instead of straight up. :-) Now you can say you did it. Good memories from BYU and I always love going back to that campus and area. So fun to spend time with you and your girls at WC
Post a Comment