I was on the BYU Gymnastics Team.
I coached & judged gymnastics & cheerleaders for over 30 years.
I was the Tennessee State Judging Director & helped to train many gymnastics judges.
I choreographed many state, regional, & national champion floor & beam routines.
I helped start & run Memphis Center of Gymnastics for a good 12 years...but that was a lifetime ago.
Here is our 1st Gymstar Gymnastics team circa 1979...notice the coaching staff in the front row, L-R, Donna Mills Alexin, Peggy Simpson Wilson, & yours truly.
This crazy person, Donna Alexin (aka Vera), is the inspiration behind my gymnastics accomplishments. We were inseparable for 13 years...truly BFFs.
My kids & I were in her wedding...her husband, Gene (also a gymnast) likes to tell people I taught him how to coach & spot a full...
But life circumstances often takes you in different directions...after Jeff (my 1st husband) died, we moved away & I said goodbye to the life of a Gym Rat & the wonderful lifelong friends I grew to love. This is the last gymnastics event I attended in an official capacity before we moved home to California. (I would like to mention that we won both state & regional championships this year!) As I look at this picture, I can remember the "out of body" experience I was having knowing that I would be leaving this life forever...
A little background...by the time we left Memphis, Donna & Gene only had 2 of their 5 children. They honored me when they had their 3rd by naming her Jennifer Rebecca Alexin. Becca grew to be an amazing gymnast, attending the University of Alabama on a full ride scholarship - winning several SEC & National Gymnastics titles, including Back-to-Back NCAA Championships in 2011 & 2012!
Fast forward 23 years (from the time I left Memphis) & I was invited to experience a very special event - Becca's very LAST gymnastics event. NCAA Championships were held at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion this year so I took a road trip down to LA to see my lifelong friends & witness Becca's last hurrah. I met them at their hotel, said a quick hello to Becca (who was on team lock down most of the weekend), then we went to dinner on the Santa Monica Pier...
Fast forward 23 years (from the time I left Memphis) & I was invited to experience a very special event - Becca's very LAST gymnastics event. NCAA Championships were held at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion this year so I took a road trip down to LA to see my lifelong friends & witness Becca's last hurrah. I met them at their hotel, said a quick hello to Becca (who was on team lock down most of the weekend), then we went to dinner on the Santa Monica Pier...
| Me & Brother, Gene & Donna |
The next morning after breakfast, Becca introduced me to her favorite teammates...
Getting ready to load the bus & head to the competition - proud parents...
Pre-game excitement - Mr. Gene seated with all the Giant Head Posters...
Becca's Giant Head...
I made it on the Jumbo Tron!
Working the crowd during warm ups...
Roll Tide, Roll!
It is such a thrill to witness gymnastics at this level! The team made it to the team finals. Out of 12 teams, the Super Six competed the following day - unfortunately, Bama fell short of their "3-peat" goal (separated by only fractions of a point) & took a respectable 3rd...nothing to be disappointed about. Becca has had a great carreer! Bars is her specialty...
The look on her face when she came off the bars on her very last bar routine EVER was priceless! She hit a great routine & stuck her landing!
I can only imagine the emotions she felt...she did the best she could do for herself, for her team, for her parents...I caught her looking for her parents when it was over...
...and this is what she saw...their emotions taking over - such pride, such sacrifice, such love...
...such love & appreciation...as she took that knee brace off for the very last time...
It was an emotional experience to witness these sacred moments between parent & child - I was honored to be there.
Back at the hotel celebration with Gille's friend Dave, Brother, Becca, Gille, Me, Gene & Donna...
It was a wonderful experience to be there with these crazy people that I love with all my heart. I will treasure this memory. It was difficult to say goodbye...again. But I'm grateful for forever friendships...
Love ya...mean it!
3 comments:
Very cute, mom! Glad you got to do that.
Fun! I miss that crazy family. Glad you got to be there.
Don't know this part of your life very well, don't know these people but I could feel your love for both and the sadness of a closing era. Thanks for sharing this.
Post a Comment