Monday, July 1, 2013

Hello Philly!

Paul qualified for an MDRT event in Philadelphia, PA. There were welcome signs all over the city, even on the elevators at our hotel!  MDRT is one of the many acronyms used in the insurance industry…it stands for Million Dollar Round Table, an international association of the world’s leading life insurance & financial services professionals from more than 450 companies in 79 countries.  MDRT membership is recognized internationally as the standard of sales excellence in the life insurance & financial services business…NBD.  (Toot, Toot!  Yes, I’m tooting that horn again!)


We got to Philly early enough to tour the historical district – Let Freedom Ring!



We toured Independence Hall…



I LOVE history & I get emotional every time I think about how our government began & the incredible risk our nation’s founders took…it was a brave act of treason.  By signing the Declaration of Independence (in this very room) they were signing their death warrant if they were caught by the British.


We toured Ben Franklin’s printing press & saw a demonstration of how the Declaration was printed.  Every word is type-set with each letter individually.  I learned that the capital letters are stored in the “upper case” of trays while the other letters are stored in the “lower case” of trays; hence the term “upper & lower” case…duh!  (I truly did not know that!)



Paul spent most of his time in meetings all day while I enjoyed exploring the city.  I like to start with the Big Red Bus because it really does give you a pretty good overview of the city’s highlights.



The "Rocky" Steps & a gilded statue of Joan of Arc (Our tour guide called it "Joanie on a pony.")


Ben Franklin Bridge & Chinatown.  Philly has the 3rd largest Chinatown in the USA...San Francisco is the largest.


Betsy Ross House & Museum...


Elfreth’s Alley is our nation’s oldest residential street.  It has been home to some 3000 people since 1702 in the 32 homes that line both sides of this unique alley. 


Our hotel was right across the street from the Reading Railroad terminal & market…it was fabulous!  Fresh fruits & veggies, flowers, meats, bakeries, restaurants, etc…



 It was here that I found my favorite spot for those famous Philly Cheesesteaks…so very yummy!




One morning we joined a group of agents who wanted to run to the Philadelphia Museum of Art (aka the Rocky Steps).  This isn’t usually Paul’s kind of thing, but he was humoring all the guys & getting into the Rocky Spirit…”Yo, Adrian!”






I would say the highlight of the trip was our evening at Morimoto’s, the original Iron Chef.  Such an amazing place!  Because one of the agents in Paul’s group went home early, I got to join them, too!  The place was A-MA-ZING!




 We were treated to an eight course meal…yes, I ate every bit of this meal!  I am not a fan of Sushi but I must admit that it was delicious!



 The city of Brotherly Love is a great place to visit, especially when I can experience it with this guy…



3 comments:

Portillo Portal said...

Wow! That looks amazing! What a great trip :)

Linda and Rex said...

So I am curious-- who takes pictures of you and Paul kissing? I gotta know. :-)
Looks like a great trip.

The Horners said...

Fun! I would love to go to the East coast again.