Sunday, September 14, 2014

LA Getaway

One of the nice perks about being married to Paul is that he works really hard at everything he does & he is often recognized & rewarded for his efforts.  The rewards/recognitions are not what motivates him, but it sure is nice to be invited to some fancy-schmancy places & have my husbands peers/company tell me how awesome he is! As if I don't already know?

Well this years, Senior Vice President's Club Event was held in August at the Terranea Resort in Pales Verdes Penninsula...oh my! Just, oh my!

Google images
 This next picture was taken from the view in our room! AMAZING place!



First order of business was a spa treatment...this was my waiting area!


We were treated to a "couples massage" - they brought us into this private room that opened up to a balcony right above the ocean!  They left the doors open during our massages & we could hear the waves crashing on the rocks below us - it was sooooo relaxing!


We walked down to the rocky beach below...California is so beautiful!




That night we attended a fancy honors dinner...


The next evening they took us to Dodgers Stadium for a special event.  Now growing up, I was a Dodgers fan because I didn't know any better.  I grew up in Bakersfield & spent my summers watching my brothers play baseball at Sam Lynn Ball Park, the home of the Bakersfield Dodgers, the LA Dodgers' Farm Team.  After living in Northern California the past 23 years, I have learned to love the SF Giants.  Nevertheless, it was exciting to be at Dodgers Stadium over looking the city of Los Angeles...


I may not be a Dodgers fan anymore, but I am a fan of Jackie Robinson!



Our special event was an intimate gathering with Broadcasting's Hall of Famer,  Vin Scully, the "Voice of the Dodgers!" He entertained us with a brief history of his career & the many greats he's had the privilege of knowing. 2014 Baseball Season was his 66th season with the Dodgers! What an amazing career!

Sidetone: If you've ever seen footage of "The Catch" that put the 49ers in the 1982 Superbowl, it was Vin Scully's voice you heard, "Montana...looking, looking, throwing, throwing in the end zone...Clark caught it!  Dwight Clark!...It's a madhouse at Candlestick!"




Then they gave us a tour of the stadium; the museum, the locker rooms, the dugout, etc...

There were a few recipients of these golden glove awards...


One of the Dodgers' SIX World Series trophies...


One of many tributes to Jackie Robinson & his retired jersey...breaking barriers through his remarkable talents & exceptional character...


The visiting team's locker room...many great opponents suited up & got ready to "play ball" in this room...


This is as close to the field as they would let us get...


Sitting in the dugout...


Our souvenir photo...


It was a really fun event & I enjoyed learning about the history of the Dodgers.

On our drive home, I got to learn a little history about Paul as we drove through his old neighborhood in Torrance.  This is the house he grew up in (3645 West 182nd St) & he lived here from the time they brought him home from the hospital until he was 8 years old.  We also visited his elementary school. It was fun to hear him remember the fun he had playing in the nearby fields (that are now freeways)...



1 comment:

Gina Deceuster said...

I was just thinking recently that I wondered what his childhood home looked like. Thanks for sharing.