Saturday, November 22, 2014

2014 USA Reunion

I got to meet up with my USA Cheer-buddies down south for another weekend reunion.  (Our first was in 2012 & we plan to meet every other year to catch up & share the love.)  You can find my impressions of that first reunion HERE. 

Our fearless leaders sent out this announcement last June...



It really was a magical weekend back in 2012 & I was curious to see if it would still be magical!  
This is what I saw when I pulled up to Vivian's house...


We were welcomed with some old uniforms & photos...


I had thrown my old warm-up suit on over my clothes to make my grand entrance...


Gary & Doug had their's on, too...


The silliness didn't stop!


My failed attempt at getting a group shot with the timer - I cut Sheralee out!



My cheeks hurt from smiling & laughing so much!



The next morning we put on the T-shirts provided & headed to the park for "warm-ups"...


Eleanor conducted our session of "Pilates in the Park"...



It didn't take long for the silliness to commence...


It is extremely difficult to do Pilates when you are laughing!



Or being tackled...I love these people so much!



Of course we had to take "Staff" photos! The song girls couldn't decide on a pose...



No question for the cheerleaders - our all time favorite!


Whole group shot for this workshop...we hope to see more of our friends in 2016 for our 40th Reunion!!!


Lunchtime, visiting, & catching up...


A rare shot of Vivian (she tends to hide from the camera) & Sheralee taking care of business...


After lunch, some of us went for a hike in Monrovia Canyon Park to a little waterfall...






We shared old photo albums & talked about old experiences...





We shared our struggles & triumphs...


& smiles & laughter...lots & lots of laughter!




And FOOD!!! Oh the delicious FOOD that Vivian prepared for us all!


Eleanor shared her talents as a massage therapist & we learned a lot from her as many got a complementary mini-session from her...



There was a serious practice & performance...very impressive!



...& a not so serious performance...also impressive!



All too soon, a farewell breakfast & goodbyes till we meet again...



The following week, our fearless leaders sent this out...

​
Hi there!
We just finished an incredible weekend and we just wanted to reach out to you to let you know that you were missed!  As we gathered and reminisced about the days gone by and caught up on everyone's lives - we laughed, we cried, we laughed some more and it was as if we just saw each other last week and the nearly 40 years that has passed was non-existent.  Your name continues to come up with great love and wistfulness about hoping to see you again.   This reunion started in 2012 and it is not a"huge"  reunion but it is significant!!!
We have set the date for out next gathering two years from now and it will be October 7 - 9, 2016.  We hope you will put it on your calendar and join us.  We do not want to push or intrude and totally respect if you do not want to attend.  We just want you to know that there is a group of people that want to see you, think you are pretty special and let you know that you made an impact on our lives and our hearts. 
Let us know if you would like us to remove you from the list and we will, of course, respect that.  Otherwise, you will be hearing from us again.....because you are important to us. 
With love,
Vivian, Evelyn and Sheralee 

I can't explain the connection I feel to these crazy people - it really is pretty magical.  When you share such an amazing experience (like being part of the original USA Staff) that no one else really understands, you create an incredible bond that time nor distance has been able to change.  It is an amazing feeling of love & friendship - true caring for one another.  I know it probably has nothing to do with USA & everything to do with the wonderful individuals that each of these people are - USA was just the catalyst that brought us all together from such diverse backgrounds.  For that, I am forever grateful.

2 comments:

Vivian said...

Oh Jennifer, this brought back such memories. It is such an honor to have so many beautiful hearts fill my home with so much love and laughter! I just want to make one correction...without this group of amazing people USA would not have been created - there would be no United Spirit Association. It absolutely was BECAUSE of all of us that the dream then reality could have even happened. I love each and everyone one of you and I am so anxious for our 40th reunion. Love you and hope to see you soon!!

The Mid-Cart Parentals said...

I stand corrected, Viv. These wonderful individuals are amazingly talented as well & that combination is what fueled the creation of United Spirit Association. (I still marvel that God let me be a part of it all.)