Monday, December 28, 2015

Miss Opal

I got a call from Miss Opal's daughter, Geneva, last night. Miss Opal passed away...


Miss Opal was my Mom's neighbor & BFF for over 25 years. She was like a mother figure for Mom & was responsible for bringing her to Pinewood Glen...


They enjoyed each other's company & looked after one another. They played Bingo together & participated in all of the activities Pinewood offered...



Celebrating Miss Opal's 100th Birthday...


Mom was really sad when Miss Opal needed more care & had to be moved to a new facility. We visited her there every time I came into town. The day before Mom died, she was alert & really wanted to talk to Miss Opal. They had a nice chat on the phone...Mom was saying "goodbye" to her dear friend. Neither expected that Mom would go first. I went to see Miss Opal the very next morning to let her know about Mom - we embraced & we just wept. I could feel the love & friendship they had shared all those years. Opal wasn't well enough to attend Mom's funeral, but insisted on coming to the little celebration Pinewood held for Mom...


This was my last visit with Miss Opal around Mother's Day. She got a kick out of my selfie stick...


I want to be a friend like Miss Opal. Next to family, she was my Mom's most precious treasure...

"True friends are not just sharing a conversation, a cup of coffee, or a funny story - it really means sharing an honest & true part of your mind & heart."












No comments: