I got there just in time for Rick’s birthday. They let me babysit while they took the day to celebrate; they went to Graceland, Pink Palace Museum, & the Rendezvous for dinner…Happy Birthday Rick!
We had lots of fun playing with bubbles…
Playin' outside in the heat (icky, sticky, humidity)…

And playing in the bathtub…

The next couple of days Aunt Nancy & I got to work on Grandmommy’s attic. (Grandmommy passed away a couple of years ago & Uncle Tim wanted us to see if there was anything in storage that the California Carter Critters wanted.) So we went through BOTH attics & the basement to see if there was anything someone might want. Since the Carter homestead was being rented out, we didn’t want to disturb the tenants who were at work while we were there. The Attic was stifling hot in the middle of the day in Memphis. 5 hours later - we had both cars stuffed full of "treasures" to take back to Nancy’s to sort through where it was cooler. I can’t believe I didn’t take any pictures! But we were on a mission to “gitterdone!” Of course we had a couple of cute little distractions…

Lydia & Sadie (April’s girls) were staying with “Nana” while April was at YW’s Camp. It was fun to play with them & get to know them better. They are full of energy & personality, but they were very patient with us during this whole project. Lydia was okay taking a picture with me…

…but I couldn’t bribe Sadie to get close enough. I kept trying to steal kisses from her & she would run away & giggle…so cute!

Once our project was complete, I went back to MS to play with my girls. We spent most of our time playing in the air conditioned apartment, but when we DID brave the heat, we fed the ducks…

…went to the park…

…went swimming (Keira’s personal favorite, but Lexi seems to like it, too!)…



We went to a beautiful outdoor mall (that happened to have a live band playing music) so Leah could do a photo shoot with the girls. I was surprised that they lasted a whole hour in that heat…I melted! Lexi is patiently waiting her turn…

After the photo shoot, I took the girls to “THE Gym” to meet my gym buddy, Donna – this is basically where the Carter Critters grew up. Can’t believe I didn’t take any pics of Donna, either – I was really off my game! But Keira loved playing on all the equipment…


Ty & I went to church with Cousin Reed & Aunt Nancy & followed them back to their place for lunch. (Uncle Tim had Riley at Scout Camp all week.) Reed noticed several turtles in the pond & excused himself to “take care of things.” He came back with these…

Really??? I learned that the turtles eat the fish which eat the mosquito larva, so in order to keep the mosquito population down, they “shoot” the turtles!

Uncle Ty got one on his first shot. Notice the poor turtle came up out of the water on the bank bleeding…

I must have scared him off when I came close to get a picture because he went back in the water & as he did…the fish started nibbling at his wound & he made his way under the dock & climbed back onto the bank & this is what I saw…

Eeeeww!!! Yes, those are turtle guts hangin’ out of the bullet hole in the back of that turtle! I guess those little fish got their revenge on those turtles for eating them! Ah…the balance of nature!
My dear, Nancy. I love you more than words can say.

Saying goodbye to the Carter homestead…

Old homes! Old hearts! Upon my soul forever. Their peace and gladness lie like tears and laughter. (Madison Julius Cawein)
Goodbye old house...
6 comments:
tears... that house is such a big part of my past... it's sad. Glad you were able to go help Nancy get it done and spend some time with everyone. Wish I could have been there but if I'm tearing up all the way over here in AZ I'm sure I would have been a wreck there!
What a pretty house! Gross about the turtles. Fun about seeing baby girls.
Did Lydia change her clothes 100 times? Because she did when we were there. :) They are so cute.
Makes me wish we could have stayed! I REALLY wanted to. I would have liked to get a picture of us by the play house and grandmommy's house. It would have been fun and interesting to help clean everything out. G'mommy's house is my only memory of Memphis. Sad. Hopefully we can go back for a visit someday.
Cute pictures of the girls and cute swimmy suit!
Cute post Mom. Makes me teary too. Sad to think I may never go inside that house again. Glad you got to spend time with Nancy. I love her too. She's the best!
that "homestead" is amazing. I can only imagine how hard that goodbye was. Cnt wait to see pics from the photo shoot with the girls. Sounds like it was a great and productive trip!
That was such a fun visit. Thanks for "sitting on the babies" so Rick and I could play :) That story about the turtle was so much worse in real life. Yuck!
Post a Comment