
A few years went by & they moved to a newer home. They brought their little kitchen with them, but this house didn't have a garage for the little girl & her siblings to play in. So the daddy had a great idea...he would build a playhouse for the children to play in. With the help of the granddaddy (who worked for an electrical company), they brought home some old discarded cable spools to use to build a playhouse.

The spools themselves were tons of fun to climb on & the daddy let the children hammer on them & take them apart. Brother learned how to work with tools as he would work alongside his dad & granddaddy.

They helped him build a "club house," too. He was proud of his sign, "No Girls Aloud!" (I'm not sure if they would be "allowed" if they were quiet or not.)

It was a busy construction zone in the backyard for well over a year because the daddy was building a garage at the same time. They would build a little, then save up for more materials, then build some more, & the process continued.


They worked evenings & Saturdays in the cold of winter & the humid heat of the summer days in the south.

The girls would frequently check on the progress & would often play in the unfinished playhouse when they could. They wanted people to know that the playhouse was for girls only, so the daddy hung their sign above the door..."No Boys!"

When the roof went on, they all got so excited because it was starting to look like a real house. They built a loft above the porch & it was totally finished inside with sheet rock that mommy wallpapered in a tiny flower print & linoleum flooring. It even had electricity with a working light & ceiling fan.

Building this playhouse was a generational labor of love. When it was completed, the children enjoyed some great times playing house & pretending.

Unfortunately, there are no pictures of the outside of the beautifully finished little playhouse in the backyard, but the memories are vivid & will remain in their hearts forever.
The daddy passed away & when the little family decided to move, the grandaddy moved the little playhouse to his home in the country so the children would always see it when they came to visit & remember that it was built for them with love. As they grew older they didn't play in it anymore, but they did visit & remember with tenderness.

Years later, the grandaddy & grandmommy passed away, too. The children were sad to see this chapter of their lives end - they loved their grandparents very much. What would become of their little playhouse? Would the new owners appreciate it the same as they had?
Well, their uncle had a great idea...

He moved the little playhouse to his home in the country, overlooking his pond, so that when the children came to visit, they would see it & remember that it was built for them with love.

Now their cousins' children enjoy playing in it & pretending. It still has the same wallpaper, the same curtains, the same little brown chairs, & the same little second-hand refrigerator (spray painted white)....& most importantly, the same feeling of love that was built into every inch.

Generations linked by love helps us appreciate the simple things in life - like treasured childhood memories of special times with special people...& they will live happily ever after because "families are forever."
Thanks, Uncle Tim! We love you for caring about the "important" things...like family - who we are & where we come from.
13 comments:
Tears... Thanks Uncle Tim! I know it's so silly but I just can't part with that little old playhouse. I know it's been years since I've played in it. I think that it was built for me as well as for my children and their children etc. I think Dad knew that it was his way of leaving something behind to remind us of him. I have cried so much over this little playhouse. I am so glad that it is in good hands and that little babies are still enjoying it. I also LOVE how it is on the OTHER side of the pond!!!
How sweet! Thank you for sharing that. That made my day.
So sweet! And how cute is the little girl in this story???
How cute this playhouse is! So fun!
That is an amazing story! I love it! Thanks for sharing it!
What an incredible story - thanks for sharing it with all of us!
What a sweet story. I loved reading that.
You made me cry. That was a wonderful "story" and one that will live on into future generations as well.
What a beautiful story! How neat that the legacy still lives on and is being appreciated by family.
I seriously cried while reading this. And now I want to build Luke a playhouse.
How fun. So glad that so many memories were made building and playing in it. Uncle Tim rocks!
Post a Comment