Thursday, March 24, 2011

Fun with the Newlyweds…

You may or may not remember that we like to take our “newlywed kids” on a weekend vacation nearby in an effort to create a memory & get to know their new spouse a little better…I’m glad we didn’t have to wait 4 ½ years to schedule this one! (Sorry Horners!)

It is interesting that five of our newlywed couples have chosen Disneyland as their destination for different reasons…it is, afterall, the “happiest place on earth!” However, anywhere we can spend time with family is the happiest place on earth to us – this was no exception.

One thing we didn’t expect was SNOW on the Grapevine! We had to crash at Aunt Sylvia’s late that first night which allowed us time to swing by Grandma’s early the next morning for a quick visit until they opened up Tejon Pass.



Psshhh...hardly the mess we see on I-80 through Donner Pass...I-5 was clear as could be!



Of course, I wanted to take all the mandatory pictures, like the “C” for Carter in the C-A-L-I-F-O-R-N-I-A letters at the entrance to California Adventure…



… but I was disappointed that they weren’t there!



Since this was Dara’s VERY FIRST trip to Disneyland (I know, it’s rare to find a native Californian that has never been.) & Ben was a sophomore in high school the last time he went – I was still able to be obnoxious with my camera, making it extra fun to be there with them & document this special experience.




Ben had never been on the Indiana Jones ride. We actually made it on all the “E ticket” rides except Splash Mountain (which was closed for the day).




I thought it was cute that Ben wanted to ride “It’s a Small World” because he thought Dara would enjoy that classic Disney experience but was okay with just the photo op in this prop version of the Tea Cups because he didn't want to “lose his churro” from the actual spinning ride.




The cold night air irritated my bronchitis so Dad took me back to the hotel so I could rest up for our second day of fun & we left the newlyweds on their own to close the park down & enjoy the fireworks show over the Matterhorn.

That next day we headed for Universal Studios, Hollywood. None of us could remember our last visit there & we noticed lots of changes!

On the “Red Carpet”…




We saw lots of shows & famous people like Dora & Dara the Explara…



The Waterworld stunt show is always a favorite...



Frank was there & many more…



We enjoyed the back lot tour & seeing how all the Hollywood "classics" were made. Thanks for sharing this time with us.



We crashed at the Deceusters' on the way home & enjoyed breakfast with them the next morning.



Can you believe that no one was really very excited when I busted out my camera? Someday they will all be glad that I am so picture happy! Gotta capture the moments to make them last!

6 comments:

The Horners said...

Fun trip! It's a little weird to see snow in that picture. I don't think I've ever seen that before. I'm glad you guys got to take Dara on her first trip and I bet a trip to Disney with Ben would be hilarious. Makes me want to go again!!!

The McGraths said...

Too cute! I want to go see G'ma!

The Holyoaks said...

That is so exciting! I'm glad everyone had fun. Remind me never to go to Disneyland in March. It looks cold!

Bassetts said...

So fun! That was a heckalot of family you visited with. Lucky! I love the pic of Dora and Dara. Too cute!

Middleton said...

Dora and Dara! I love it!

karen garner said...

Great pictures --- too too cute - looks like Disneyland was a blast. CAN'T wait to see you guys.