Second stop - I decided to swing by my old junior high school to watch the tail end of my niece's volleyball game...she coaches at our old alma-mater & I like to catch her games when I can & watch her in action. Carrie is an amazing athlete & fitness guru!
I got to Mom's just in time to watch our favorite TV shows...we don't do much but hang out during our visits - play Bingo, put puzzles together, & try to beat Alex Trebek & Pat Sajak on TV...funny how simple things can increase the love you feel for family.
I finally went inside & found some sheers that she had made...this job kept her busy for quite some time & I'm sure helped pay the bills.
The Senior Olympics started with a flag raising, welcome, & parade...here's her group waiting to get this party started!
There were bands & cheerleaders from different area high schools, but this was the best band - Bearsdley Junior High School feeds into my old high school - no wonder we always had an award winning marching band with talent like this feeding into it!
The best part of the parade was all the classic cars! It was fun to sit in the middle of all these seniors & hear their comments about how they used to have a car like that & so on...my Mom even leaned over to me & told me that my Dad justified buying my brother one of these classics before his 16th birthday because My Dad really wanted it!
They chose a King & Queen for the parade - they were the oldest male & female residence in the different facilities that participated. The King was 94 & the Queen was 99 - I thought it was really fun because the King was Mr Bill Varner (I went to high school with his kids.)...but the driver of the vehicle is Bill Varner's great-grandson...Olympic Gold Medal Wrestling Champion Jake Varner! He was there to volunteer & help pass out awards. It was so fun to watch him interacting with the seniors - truly a very nice young man!
The games were run by CSUBakersfield athletes. Mom was a pretty good athlete back in the day. Softball & Basketball were her favorites. She participated in the horse shoe pitch & the softball throw - she's got great form!
We looked at all the booths, collected freebees from the different vendors, & enjoyed lunch - pretty sure Mom was tired of me taking pictures by then...
Mom & I had a great time & I got a hug from an Olympic Gold Medalist - It was a fun day!
2 comments:
So cute! I live your mom too and was just telling Kiff that I need to find a way to get to Bakersfield with my kids to visit her.
What an awesome day. Your mom Rocks. I feel proud of her for participating. What a sweet and wonderful woman. Such a great way to spend the day with her.
Post a Comment