Monday, October 22, 2012

October Odds & Ends

Deceuster Darlings

Sooooo...on my way back from my little reunion, I stopped by the Deceuster's to enjoy the Sunday session of Conference with them - I got there just in time!  This fuzzy iPhone pic shows the gang putting together puzzles.  I was very impressed with how focused everyone was with this activity & it allowed the adults to listen to all the Conference Talks without distractions...well done puzzlers!



Between the sessions, Cassandra took a nap & the boys went on a long bike ride while Alana & I went on a walk...well, I walked & Alana scootered. (Is that a word?)  It was a beautiful So Cal day!



When Cassandra woke up, she was generous with her smiles & cuddles & let me hold her for a good bit...babies are sooooo sweet!



After the second session of Conference, we all went to Christian's brother Ben's house for a BBQ - delicious ribs & fixins...



Thanks Ben & Rachel for letting me crash your party & thanks Gina for letting me crash on your couch for the night!



Cooper is here!

We were surprised to get a text from our son-in-law Rick on the evening of October 8th saying, "Cooper was born a couple of hours ago.  He's healthy & Leah is doing great.  She's trying to feed him now.  I'll call you in a while."  

We weren't expecting Cooper until the 23rd!  Evidently, he was in a hurry to get here!  When they called we learned that her water broke that afternoon & her contractions started right away - short story shorter - he was born 2 hours later in the back seat of his daddy's car in the hospital parking lot!  I will let Leah share all the details when she's ready - pretty sure she wins the most exciting birthing story in this family so far!  Cooper Lyman Bassett, 8# 15 oz, 20" long...can't wait to meet him, soon!  Our 26th grandchild, 14th grandson, but really?  Who's counting???




Uncle Greg & Aunt Donna

Paul's uncle & aunt live nearby in Lincoln, CA.  We took the opportunity to go & visit them last weekend.  Uncle Greg is Paul's mother's brother.



They live in a beautiful home in a Dell Webb Community right on the golf course with a beautiful view!



Aunt Donna is very talented!  She is a concert pianist & enjoys needlepoint/embroidery.  She made these beautiful Temari Balls displayed here in the center of this little conversation grouping...



Some of these can take as many as 40 hours to complete!  So beautiful & bright & colorful...as are these beautiful pieces of art that she has also created!



We had a nice visit & we even went to lunch at their club house in Uncle Greg's golf cart...



Next time, lunch is on us!  Come visit us on the River, soon!



Talents

This may not be as fancy as Aunt Donna's Temari Balls, but I really enjoy the quilting frames that Paul made for me a few years back.  Every time I make one I think of my Granny Cowell & the beautiful quilts she made with love through the years...I am also grateful for a mother who taught me to sew.  This is my latest quilt that I recently finished...




Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall!

I was beginning to wonder if Fall was going to show up this year or not!  Just last Thursday it was in the high 80's so Paul & I took one last kayak run down to Turtle Pond...it was gorgeous & we had the River to ourselves!



However, today it is 55 degrees, raining, & there's a tornado warning!  Ummmm, okay?




Apple Hill

I DO LOVE FALL!  I love fall colors & sweaters & hot cider...& many more things that warm my heart & soul.  We were happy to meet Kyle & family for a little apple picking at Apple Hill.  We gathered at High Hill Ranch for some apple fritters, donuts, & apple cider...




I love all the pumpkins & apples everywhere...it just feels like Fall!




Amy bribed the kids into a photo shoot...they sure are cuties!



We made our way over to Boa Farms where we could pick our own apples...



Of course that cute little pumpkin patch was screaming for us to take a few more pictures...



We finally got our bags & headed for the orchard....of course everyone pitched in & it didn't take long to pick what we needed...






Adia wanted me to document her great apple picking form...notice the apple reach...& the apple jump...


Kyle & Amy were re-enacting the story of Adam & Eve...



...and I'm pretty sure Dad & Kyle were ready to throw these at me if I didn't stop taking pictures!



The kids stopped to play on these cool tire swings...



Kaden wanted me to take his picture by this fun trailer...how can I refuse such a cute little critter?  Then the girls wanted a couple more before we left...



When we got back to the Riverhouse, we got to work washing & slicing the apples.  Amy & Adia had an impromptu apple pie baking contest & we made Grandmommy's apple crisp...





The littles got to work getting the caramels ready for caramel apples; however, I wasn't aware of how many caramels they actually ate so when I added the water, our caramel was a little on the runny side.  They created some masterpieces, though!






We had such a great time!  Thanks for letting us join the fun!



Harvest Festival

The youth of our ward just hosted a Harvest Festival (since I'm in the Young Women's Presidency, I got to help - a lot!).  We had carnival games for the Primary children & a Chili Cook-off.  Even though we're not in any of these pics, I just wanted to document the hard work!  The Young Men's Presidency judged the chili cook-off...& the winners are?  (Note the cute spoons given as prizes?  "1st, 2nd, & 3rd Place Rescue Ward Chili Cook-off" is burnt into the handle of the appropriate winner's spoon!)



I spent most of the morning baking...you had to participate in the cake walk in order to win your dessert!  No, I didn't bake all of this but I did bake 2 dozen cupcakes & at least 4 dozen pumpkin cookies...give or take the ones that I ate.



The carnival games had a scriptural theme to them - The Wandering Israelite's Cupcake Walk, Jonah & the Whale Fishing Booth, Adam & Eve Apple Bobbing, & The Brother of Jared's Barge (turtle) Race...


...plus...Malachi's Tithing Toss, David & Goliath's Marshmallow Sling Shot, Moses' Journey in the Desert (buried treasures were in the sand), & Moses & the 10 Plagues Bowling (10 soda bottles as pins).



It was a stressful day for me because our Young Women's President had to go out of town, kinda putting me in charge - but our secretary really came through & so did everyone who had an assignment!  Everyone seemed to have a great time but I'm really glad it is over!

We still have some exciting things ahead of us this next week, but as of today my Blog is all caught up!  WOO HOO!

5 comments:

Gina Deceuster said...

Wow, those Temari balls are beautiful!

Amers said...

Thanks again for the apple fun! We had a great time! Kyle loves the pics. :)

Amers said...

Thanks again for the apple fun! We had a great time! Kyle loves the pics. :)

Linda and Rex said...

I love Fall and I love Apple Hill. I am so glad you got to see Greg and Donna. They look pretty good. We have wanted to do that for years. Now I feel ashamed and I will have to find a way to do it. She is just such a talented lady. I love your quilt. Beautiful.

The Horners said...

I wish we couldgo to Apple Hill! You guys have been busy, like always. Can't wait to see you... soon!