When I was a little girl, I loved my grandmother's garden. I loved to walk up & down the rows & examine each new plant, each new life. As a young mother, a garden was a necessity in the South...I did not enjoy that garden!!! It was too much work along with the exhausting everydayness of young motherhood. Now that I'm a grandmother & expecially now that we have a chunk of property, I wanted to plant my own grandmother's garden. Paul made a beautiful little spot for me to plant my garden.
Of course he had to surround the garden with wire fencing to keep the deer out & I had to brush up on how to plant a garden. (Thanks Jill & Kiff for the book & the garden tools!)
Things are already starting to grow!
"The kiss of the sun for pardon
The song of the birds for mirth
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth."
(from "God's Garden" by Dorothy Frances Gurney)



8 comments:
We just planted some tomatoes, zucchini, scallions, and basil. I wanted to do more but for us, space is an issue. Plus, I am so new at all this. Hopefully they won't die before the week ends! Your garden looks great. I am so jealous but can't wait to eat all the goods in about two weeks!
I wish the dirt didn't scare me so much because I think having a garden should be a mandate for moms. I just need to wait for Adia or Avery to make one for me I guess. Yours looks great and I look forward to you teaching my girls how the whole garden thing works.
I want to do a garden but have to wait until some one is in school! Gardening in Florida is a whole other kind of gardening. I'll have to keep studying on how to do it but someday we too will grow our own veggies. Hope the deer stay away!
(This is from my cousin Donna)
Hi Jen, I was just looking at your blog and wanted to share my garden story. I went out to my dad's and planted 4 loooooooong rows of green beans and a looooooooong row of carrots, a looooooong row of green onions, alot of pumpkins, some cantlope and my dad planted a half acre of corn. At my house I have flower squash, zucchini, yellow squash, 3 kinds of tomatoe's and sweet peppers. I also love to garden, and watch it grow. I am proud of you for gettin in the dirt, yipee! Is'nt it fun? I love you and love seeing your pictures, although we dont really know if you went in that cave! Ha! Take care, :) Donna Oh, Shelby is having a girl the end of October, yipee!
I can't wait to get my own garden. There's nothing like fresh produce from your own garden.
YUMMY!
Janay
We have this huge garden and are seeing if we can get anything to grow. I have to admit it doesn't look as great as yours. Good work! Can't wait to see it at the end of the summer!
I can't wait until we have land for a garden!
Can you tell Jill and Cindy to send me invites to their blogs? rebequita83@yahoo.com I totally missed their deadlines and now I'm sad that I have no idea what's going on in their lives!
Post a Comment