Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Fall Y'all!


I have always loved the fall, when the trees turn brilliant colors – it just makes me happy! We recently had an opportunity to visit New England to see their famous fall foliage…I was not disappointed! We flew into Boston & headed out to Maine. We hugged the coastline on our way to Acadia National Park so I could see some of their famous lighthouses. I took a bazillion pix just like these; unfortunately, I don't have the right camera (or the right skills) to capture the distant views properly.






We probably saw a dozen lighthouses like these






We visited Plymouth & Cape Cod. I love the history of our country! I saw “the rock” that marks the Pilgrims' landing



We stopped by Plimouth Plantation, a little village that shows the life of the Pilgrims & that of the Wampanoag Natives in the 1600s - wasn't exactly the Happy Thanksgiving story we like to tell.





This guy had to be freezing



Paul is always in the market for more rafting equipment



Out on Cape Cod, we saw more lighthouses




We got rained on



We saw more beautiful scenery along the drive



I ate lobster in Provincetown on the tip of Cape Cod (Nice rained on look, huh?)


We took a very long scenic drive along the Mohawk Trail & saw lots of beautiful trees, quaint little villages, incredible views, & covered bridges. We made it to Walden Pond right before sunset.



It was the perfect way to end a wonderful day. I love how the treeline is reflected on the water.


Being so close to Halloween, it was a great time to visit Salem – home of the infamous witch trials. We visited the Salem Witch Trials Museum, the Witch Museum, the House of the Seven Gables & just walked the streets. I really enjoyed this little town & learning about the “Wiccan” culture that still exists there. Wica is a neopagan, nature based religion & although they do refer to themselves as “witches” they are offended when people think they are devil worshipers or associate them with satanic witchcraft/black magic. They are into herbs & natural healings much like native Americans. They dress in normal clothing but they do wear ceremonial clothing for their celebrations. Salem celebrates Halloween the entire month of October with all sorts of activities & events – very fun & kid friendly. The streets are filled with costume shops, magic shops, fortune tellers, restaurants, gift shops, etc. I couldn’t resist this little souvenir.


Hope your Halloween was “spooktacular!”

13 comments:

The McGraths said...

so fun. the leaves look beautiful!! Glad you had a good time!

Gina Deceuster said...

Cool, I'm so jealous! I'm fascinated with Plimouth and Salem too! Sounds like a perfect trip!!

amy hubbard morris said...

What gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing the beauty of this world! Glad you had such a great time!

rad6 said...

wow, what an amazing trip. I LOVE LOVE LOVE lighthouses. I think I need to do that... a trip to all the lighthouses... one on each coast. I am so taken by such a simple structure that could make such a big impact on so many. I love lighthouses!!!
The trees and the colors are amazing! ANd those pics at Walden Pond are breathtaking. You should blow those up! Wow.
Glad you could find some good rafting equipment Paul!

The Horners said...

Those colors are beautiful! It looks like it was a chilly trip but filled with lots of fun with your honey!

Linda and Rex said...

Gorgeous. The leaves that is. Though you were pretty cute with the light house coming out of the top of your head. What a great trip. My dream to do some day. Next time, wait for us.

Andrew and Lauren said...

Such beautiful pictures! I've never thought of taking a trip up that way, but you've convinced me!

The Holyoaks said...

Great pics!

Jill said...

beautiful pictures!! the leaves are gorgeous. glad you had a nice trip.

Mary said...

Love the fall colors too! what a great trip!

Kariana said...

gorgeous fall pictures and awesome light house pictures. looks like fun!

Rochelle said...

These pictures make me miss VA so much.

Rochelle said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.