
These lovebirds will have been married 61 years in December! Awesome!

We started our visit touring the Po’ipu side of the island. This is where Hurricane Iniki did the most damage in 1992, shortly after our honeymoon here. The trees on this street were all but destroyed during that hurricane – I was happy to see that the canopy has re-grown its foliage & is finally creating its beautiful tunnel effect again.

We made our way to the Spouting Horn blowhole where they have a little vendors section. We shopped for island treasures, viewed the “spouting” & posed for pictures…



While we were there, I took these pics & sent them to Ty from my phone – it made me think of him…the last time we came with the kids, Ty was 12/13 & he chased the chickens everywhere – even though the signs say, “Please, don’t chase the chickens!” He just really wanted to catch one…


Now there are signs like these everywhere we went…


We finished our drive up to Waimea Canyon for this scenic overlook…

That evening we went to Duke’s Canoe Club for dinner & some of their famous “Hula Pie”…yum! As a matter of fact, we ate A LOT of delicious seafood while we were there. My favorite was my Hukilau mixed grill…




The next morning Paul’s dad took everyone who was willing to go on a helicopter tour of the island. (We did this on our honeymoon & it was a spectacular tour; however, not something I care to do again…I am NOT a thrill seeker.) The tour offers aerial views of Waimea Canyon, the Na Pali Coast, & many waterfalls that you can only see from the helicopter or after several days of backpacking this terrain. Rex had work to do & I was lost in my book, but I gave Paul strict instructions to take photos for me & he did a great job!






I made sure we had a daily dose of shaved ice – notice how I insist on my own while everyone else shares?






The next day we took an “ATM” tour (we kept teasing Linda because she called it an ATM tour instead of an ATV tour). We drove these little buggies all over the Kipu Ranch where movies such as Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Pirates, Avatar, & many more were filmed.





I swang on the Indian Jones rope swing & we enjoyed many beautiful views!



The following day we headed to the Hanalei side of the island to enjoy their beautiful scenery – Kilauea Light House & Ke’e Beach are gorgeous! I especially love this view of the Na Pali Coast & how the roots of these trees are exposed on Ke’e Beach.




That evening we met a friend for dinner at his beach house in Anahole. He just recently finished remodeling his beautiful home. Although we love our Riverhouse (especially having the river in our backyard)…I’m pretty sure both Paul & I had a little “back yard envy” with Joe’s beautiful view of Anahole Bay…


Our last day, Paul decided to rent a surfboard to try a little paddle boarding. It was a great workout & he was nice enough to let me try, too.



What is Hawaii without a luau?



Kauai is a beautiful island & now, with our newly aquired timeshare, we have an excuse to come back often.

Aloha Kauai, until we meet again…
10 comments:
I want to go! That looks so fun and makes me miss it. :)
So fun! I want to go too! I can hardly remember when we went last time and I know I'd appreciate it even more now. That plate of food makes my mouth water!
So fun! I would totally agree with you on NOT sharing shaved ice:-)
I'm still smiling about our trip. Thanks for letting us tag along. I SNORKLED, yes I did. :)
I could sure go for a Hula Pie right now. Yep, even though it is 6:00 AM!
Looks like an amazing trip. I don't blame you for insisting on your own shaved ice. Good for you!
You guys got to do so much stuff! I have Hawaii envy :)
Great pics. I hope you know Adia thinks she is going there with you for her 16th birthday. You have 3 years to start saving or convince her otherwise.
Amy, it is true that G'pa Paul invited her for her 16th birthday...
Thank you for posting this! Mom was talking all about it and I was wishing I could see pictures. Then I came to your blog and wala just what I was wishing for!
we were there on our honeymoon (a couple of years ago - haha), and I dont remember the chickens. But then again, I dont remember too much besides my handsome hubby! :) Young love... your pics brought back some great memories of our trip. What a beautiful island! :)
Post a Comment