Sunday, September 30, 2012

All About Avery

A couple of weeks ago, we got to spend some one-on-one time with Avery (our 2nd oldest granddaughter).

Her parents (Kyle & Amy) went to Brazil for their dear friends' wedding.  Kyle has worked with Tati & Wellington for the past several years through Restoration Ministries, one of the missions supported by their church, Oak Hills in Folsom.  This was a difficult trip for Amy because she has NEVER left her kids that long (10 whole days can seem like forever when you are away from your kiddos!).

The rest of the kids went to stay with Amy's sister in San Jose, but we got to keep Avery for an extended weekend since she is playing on a competitive soccer team & didn't want to miss too many of her games.  I'm not sure if it was harder on Avery's tender heart or Amy's as there were tears from both of them when I picked her up & they said their goodbyes.  She was fine by the time we got to the Riverhouse & the only other time she felt sad was when her parents called to check up on her...it is tough to be separated from those you love.

We tried to distract her by staying busy...this was pretty much Avery's favorite thing to do while she was with us - she kept busy making button bracelets for everyone...she is very creative!



Her first games were bright & early Saturday morning.  She let me french braid her hair - I hadn't done that since about 15 years ago when Terri, Nicole, Leah, & Cindi were all playing soccer!  I'm slower than I used to be, but I got-er-done!




Avery LOVES soccer & she is really quite good & definitely the best looking kid out there!  NO!  I'm not biased!



I enjoyed playing with the settings on my camera...trying to capture those action shots...




She's a great little ball handler...




She plays both defense & offense & occasionally goalie.  She scored three goals that weekend in the various games she played, helping her team win.



Gpa Paul let her choose whatever she wanted for breakfast & we played tons of games - Monopoly, Dominos, & Rummikub were her favorites...she is a thinkier & a strategizer! (Hurray for blurry iPhone pix.)



We decorated (& ate) a few cupcakes...



We also got to take her to gymnastics.  She goes to my friend's gym, Tumble Time, & one of my Young Women at church is one of her teachers...






On our last night together, we took Avery out to dinner to BJs with Aunt Nicole & her friend Kristen, & Aunt Rochelle...



The next day we took her with us to San Jose where she met up with the rest of her siblings at the Lazy H Ranch.  Thanks to Amy & Kyle for sharing Avery with us - we enjoyed having her all to ourselves & it was fun to give her the extra time & attention.  We love our Averycakes - it was definitely All About Avery!

No comments: