Sunday, September 18, 2016

World Gold Panning Championships

Who knew that was a thing? That's right, the 40th annual World Gold Panning Championships took place in Placerville, CA...right up the road from our house! More than 600 international competitors from 30-plus countries competed for top honors. Seriously, people from Finland, Africa, Australia, Paul & I volunteered to help with the event - let me tell you, gold panning is serious stuff!  


Me & "Uncle Fuzzy"


Paul worked the competition floor - keeping the tubs filled with water & making sure spectators didn't interfere with the competition. The competitors have to find all the gold flakes in a certain time limit, but they don't know how many flakes were hidden in their tub each round...





 I was a "scrutineer" - we had to count the number of gold flakes in each vile the competitors turned in at the end of each round...




What do the winners get you ask? Besides "gold fever" (I'm told it's a very addictive activity.), they get bragging rights & a gold medal! Next years event will be held in Moffat, Scotland. Do you think they'll let us volunteer?

No comments: