
Granted...many people contributed fantastic articles that honored/roasted Paul's dad - aka, Grandpa Fudge. It ended up being five (11X18) pages filled with facts, memories, tributes, jokes, a crossword puzzle, pictures, & a whole lot of love.
I loved the "obituary" that Paul contributed. It reads, "Larry Middleton: Yesterday, April 22, 2011 Larry Middleton awakened early, realizing it was only 8:00am, curled up again & went back to sleep. Reawakening at 9:00am he wandered into the kitchen grabbed the Mercury News off the kitchen table and after perusing the comics turned to the back of the last section to check out the obituaries. As he has done many times in the past, he scoured through the section, did not find his name, so decided to shower, dress and go about the day."
Our kids call Paul's dad Grandpa Fudge because he makes delicious fudge that we all love. I tricked him into the following article that I submitted...I asked him if he would "demonstrate" how to make his "world famous fudge" for me & let me "interview" him & take step by step pictures so we can pass down his recipe for generations. He was a good sport, not knowing it would be my contribution to his birthday newspaper. Here is that experience with a few extra pictures for posterity...
G’pa Fudge by Jenny Middleton
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory have nothing on Larry Middleton.
Paul & I had an opportunity to visit with the master fudge maker who agreed to share his fudge making secrets with us during a rare demonstration of his candy making genius. I knew that this was a unique opportunity, so with pen & paper in hand (so that I could take copious notes) I asked, “So what is your secret to making such delicious fudge?”
He looked at me then pointed to the items on the counter & said, “You need a 60 year old bowl, a 60 year old pan, & an 80 year old man.”

Through the laughter I hear G’ma say, “He’s not kidding…he will only use this bowl & this pan that we got as a wedding present 60 years ago.”
I quickly requested that these items be added to my inheritance.

He admits, right off the bat, that making fudge is a team effort. I can see this as Grandma is busy prepping pans & such nearby. As he talks me through the recipe, I notice the care he takes with each step; 4 ½ cups of sugar - He scoops a heaping cup & levels off the heaping excess with a knife before dumping it into the 60 year old pan & repeats this with each scoop, almost loosing count with the pressure of expected perfection.

Next he opens the can of evaporated milk & I ask, “What’s your favorite brand of evaporated milk?”
He says, “Whatever is on sale!”
As he pours it into his 60 year old pan Grandma adds, “It doesn’t really matter what brand.”
He grabs an old wooden spoon & asks, “Where did we get this old spoon Jeanne?”
She shakes her head & admits that she doesn’t remember.
“I think it was Mom’s.” (meaning his mother). It’s a fun wooden spoon with an interesting handle darken with age. “You need to make sure you stir this clockwise.”
“Clockwise? Not counterclockwise?” I ask for clarification.
“Doesn’t matter which way actually, as long as you stir it in the “same” direction once you start,” he explains. “Now, It’s okay to daydream right about now because it takes a while,” he begins to whistle. “The recipe says 8 minutes but 8 is never enough. It takes at least 12-15 minutes & then I check it with a candy thermometer. It needs to boil till it reaches a soft ball stage. You have to keep stirring or it will burn.”

After a minute or so, he reaches to turn the burner down & places the candy thermometer onto the side of his 60 year old pan. He explains, “Once it reaches a rolling boil, you need to turn the burner down from high to medium.”
As Grandpa is stirring the candy mixture, I see that Grandma is busy next to him measuring chocolate chips into that 60 year old bowl which already contains two sticks of butter. She says, “We use 12 cups of chocolate chips. I like to use 1/3 milk chocolate chips & 2/3 semi-sweet chocolate chips. The milk chocolate chips don’t set up as firm as the semi-sweet.” Then she takes the jar of Jet Puffed marshmallow crème & scoops out the entire jar of crème with a spatula into that 60 year old bowl filled with chocolate chips & butter.
“I need a cup of water Jeanne,” announces Grandpa at the stove. Grandma grabs a cup of water & holds it as Grandpa takes the old wooden spoon & drops some of the candy mixture into the water to test for the soft ball stage…PERFECT!


He takes the 60 year old pan & pours the boiling hot candy mixture into the 60 year old bowl & begins to stir the magical mixture until all of the chocolate chips are melted & the ingredients are perfectly blended together. Then he quickly pours the melted fudge into the previously buttered pans to cool & set till firm.

It smells heavenly & I insist that he pose with it for a photo, although I think the image will stay in my mind (& definitely my heart) forever!

He picks up the pan of fudge & smiles at me & my camera & proudly exclaims, “You’ll never go back to vegetables!”
He separated some fudge for me in my very own pan to take home with me…an extra treat! So the secret to Grandpa’s World Famous Fudge isn’t just a 60 year old bowl, a 60 year old pan, & an 80 year old man…it helps to have a World Famous Grandma to help you with the whole process! (That is the real secret that he treasures most.)
Grandpa’s World Famous Fudge recipe is added below as seen in the Middleton Family Cookbook circa 1983.
DAD’S FAVORITE FUDGE
4 ½ c. sugar
1 large can evaporated milk
pinch salt
Boil for 8 min. Rolling boil. Pour hot syrup into bowl containing:
3 pkg. (6 oz) chocolate chips
1 jar marshmallow cream (1 pint)
2 sticks margarine
nuts (optional)
Blend all ingred. until smooth. Pour into buttered pans, cool & cut into squares.
Note (from Linda): We are lucky to have this recipe. Dad almost wouldn’t give it up so be sure you don’t get too good at making it. No one makes it like Dad!
5 comments:
i ate half of that pan back when we visited in Feb! I love that fudge and I love G'pa and G'ma's relationship. They're so funny. Maybe I'll attempt that recipe but it probably won't be as good as G'pa's!
I can't wait to read all of the rest of that newspaper. Cutest idea ever! What a great family to contribute so many great things. Thanks for the detailed description of how to make world famous fudge. Can't wait to attempt it. Although I don't have anything in my kitchen that is 60 years old yet :)
What a great idea to post the recipe and descriptions. I am sure I will visit this post often. You rock!
ok this is why i LOVE blogs, this post is something we all can treasure and keep forever and ever :)
I made copies of the newspaper for each of my kids but they also saw it on your blog. Thanks for putting it there. Hope you're having a blast on your trip.
Post a Comment